Atomic Sierra

A sharp looking good gliding Nordic/backcountry touring…

Summary

A sharp looking good gliding Nordic/backcountry touring ski that can turn! Lightweight very fun ski for backcountry touring adventures.

Pros

• lightweight but durable
  • good glide
  • great turning for what it is.

Cons

• none I've found so far

Originally bought these by accident when I confused them with the larger Rainiers. I ended up having to use these when my other skis were not prepped. I was worried they would not work out as God in the tea is we use to get to more backcountry terrain.

I was pleasantly surprised to find these not only had great glide similiar to my narrower backcountry skis. In spite of the 69. Shovel it fit in the track pretty well. It climbed the 2200 foot elevation pretty well. Its strong suit was on the downhill when I was surprised by a sharp bend and had to really put it to the skis. They turned so quickly they nearly surprised me. My skiing partner was so impressed that he now wants a pair for himself.

Designed with a flatter, double camber for more control and performance on your descent, Atomic's metal-edged Sierra puts a little more fun in turning and employs a wider shovel for enhanced flotation in powder. Where other skis need skins, the Sierra's kick-and-glide pattern allows you to power over flats and ascend without shuffling.

- Mountain Gear

The Atomic Sierra Backcountry Touring Ski will handle backcountry snows from New England crust to Sierra cement. Width, sidecut, and metal edges assist security and turning in icy conditions; the flex of the ski is closer to a true classic touring ski to make traveling less work. The positive waxless base grips well even on harder snows, but still releases for good glide in deeper snow. A particularly good match with NNN-BC or Salomon BC systems, or medium duty three-pin boots. '08/'09 model Atomic Sierra features: Sidecut: 69-56-63mm Weight: 3lb 14oz/180cm High Densolite Core. Used in some of Atomic's renowned race skis, Densolite Cores are cut from a dense block of acrylic. Shaped into the ski's camber before placed into the molds, Densolite makes a ski lighter and livelier than wood cores. Sizing: 168cm /99-132lb, 180cm /121-154lb, 192cm /143-220lb

- OMCgear

Atomic Sierra

The Atomic Sierra is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new nordic touring ski, check out the best reviewed current models.