Atomic Skintec Classic

Fast looking skis, great kick, a little grabby sometimes.

Summary

Fast looking skis, great kick, a little grabby sometimes.

Pros

• Good kick in many conditions
  • Never ice

Cons

• Can be a little grabby sometimes

I received my Skintecs a couple of weeks ago. They are the longer and softer type, and my weight is just above the middle of the ski's weight range. I have been using the thinner mohair inserts.

The first thing I noticed is that, to glide I have to weight my heels. Some days the glide has been decent that way. Other days, it hasn't been without some friction. It may be that I have not waxed for every condition I have encountered, but it seems it may be the mohairs touching the snow during the glide phase. That may be because of inconsistent technique on my part.

Conversely, to kick, one weights the ball of one's feet. The kick is pretty good, even in warm and icy conditions uphill. I tried using the thicker mohair inserts once. But it was way too grabby for me.

Overall, they are promising skis. I have to change my technique a bit for it to work. But so far I am happy with them

If you're a classic-style Nordic skier, you know the hassle that can be associated with the constant need to reapply or change your kick wax. What if you never had to deal with kick wax again' The Atomic Skintec MED Classic ski is bred from the same heritage as Atomic's venerated Worldcup Classic, but is engineered with a revolutionary interchangable Skintec module in the kick zone that eliminates the need for kick wax. Set into the base of the ski in the kick zone, the Skintec module is a mohair climbing skin-style apparatus that is designed for optimal kick and grip. Unlike glide skins of old, a hydrophobic coating is added to the mohair to guarantee that you won't be struggling with snow buildup as you kick and glide your way to the finish line. For more tunability and versatility, each ski comes with two sets of Skintec Modules: one full width set for better kick and one narrow set for better glide. Swapping the modules is simply a matter of using the supplied tool to release the module from the base, which is held in place by a series of strong magnets. Click into the Atomic Skintec ski and experience the freedom of the next generation of no-wax skis.

After nine years of testing and development on the World Cup circuit, the Atomic Skintec Classic Skis are here and ready to make your racing, and recreational track skiing easier. The Skintec base uses 2 interchangeable mohair inserts; one has two strips for better gliding and one has a single wide strip for better grip The race ski dimension gives this ski downhill stability, great spring when kicking, and a camber shape that minimizes contact and drag between the Skintec strips and the snow as you un-weight The Skintec, magnetically attached, base inserts minimize maintenance and maximize fun Sizing: 99 - 132 lbs, 191 Medium; 121 - 154 lbs, 191 Hard; 132-165 lbs, 198 Medium; 154 - 198 lbs, 198 Hard; 154 - 187 lbs, 205 Medium; 176 - 209+ lbs, 205 Hard

- OMCgear

Atomic Skintec Classic

The Atomic Skintec Classic is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 2, 2014 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new nordic touring ski, check out the best reviewed current models.