Atomic Skintec Classic

Fast looking skis, great kick, a little grabby sometimes.

Summary

Fast looking skis, great kick, a little grabby sometimes.

Pros

• Good kick in many conditions
  • Never ice

Cons

• Can be a little grabby sometimes

I received my Skintecs a couple of weeks ago. They are the longer and softer type, and my weight is just above the middle of the ski's weight range. I have been using the thinner mohair inserts.

The first thing I noticed is that, to glide I have to weight my heels. Some days the glide has been decent that way. Other days, it hasn't been without some friction. It may be that I have not waxed for every condition I have encountered, but it seems it may be the mohairs touching the snow during the glide phase. That may be because of inconsistent technique on my part.

Conversely, to kick, one weights the ball of one's feet. The kick is pretty good, even in warm and icy conditions uphill. I tried using the thicker mohair inserts once. But it was way too grabby for me.

Overall, they are promising skis. I have to change my technique a bit for it to work. But so far I am happy with them

Atomic Skintec Classic

The Atomic Skintec Classic is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen April 2, 2014 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new nordic touring ski, check out the best reviewed current models.