Backpacker's Pantry Chana Masala

Dry Weight 8.8 oz / 251 g
Serving Size Two 13 oz Servings

If you enjoy a lot of rice (given this is a vegetarian…

Summary

If you enjoy a lot of rice (given this is a vegetarian option), then this is for you. I was hoping for more protein from other sources listed within such as chickpeas. No such luck. Excessive curry.

Pros

• Lightweight meal
  • Large volume of food

Cons

• Too much rice to "other" food
  • Excessive curry
  • Double time needed to cook

Had this included with my last bunch on and outing to Glacier. These Backpacker's Pantry meals always sound so good on the description, but I am always let down.

First off, this is a vegetarian meal, so I expect to supplement the meat with something else. In this case it is rice and more rice. I was hoping for more beans to cover the protein that I wouldn't be getting from meat. I perhaps had 20 chickpeas in my entire pack. Not really acceptable.

The curry was bit excessive too. I was drinking water non-stop. Another camper with me had the same experience I did.

Not sure what it is about BP meals, but I normally have to double the cook time to get the meal adequately incorporated and eat-ready. I think this was 13 min and I did about 26 or 27. It can also use an ounce or two more as there is so much rice within to absorb all the liquid.

It's not to say that it is worthless because it did provide a lot of meals.  I generally eat one bag myself of both BP and MH brand, even when it says 2 or 3 servings.  This on the other hand I couldn't finish and another friend needed to do it for me.

Between Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry, I always go with MH.  Not to say that BP is always worse...I'm just going with my experience and the odds.