Backpacker's Pantry Organic Sicilian Lasagna

Dry Weight 3.8 oz / 108 g
Serving Size One 14 oz Serving

A flavorless, unsatisfying trail meal that left me…

Price Paid: $4 on sale

Summary

A flavorless, unsatisfying trail meal that left me wanting anything with a little bit of flavor. Certainly not worth the price!

Pros

• Cooks in bag
  • Lightweight meal
  • Just add water/easy cooking

Cons

• Bland
  • Tasteless

Food always tastes better in the great outdoors. I will eat Clif Bars all day long in the woods, but they taste like sawdust as a snack at work. I even enjoy my Folger's coffee singles on the trail—stuff I refuse to drink back at home.  So it says a lot when I post, "This meal was terrible."

This was my first Backpacker's Pantry meal. I have used Mountain House meals a few times, but mostly I prepare my own food to take on trips. I purchased this meal because it was on clearance for $4 (discounted from the typical $9 price tag).

It's a typical "add boiling water" meal, in this case 1 1/4 cup of water. Instructions state to zip close and let sit 13 minutes. I find these meals normally need a longer cook time to absorb all the liquid. So I gave it a full 15 minutes.

Backpacker's Pantry lists the following ingredients on their website at http://www.backpackerspantry.com/organic-lasagna.html

Ingredients: ORGANIC SEMOLINA, ORGANIC PARMESAN CHEESE (CULTURED, PASTEURIZED ORGANIC PART-SKIM MILK, SALT, MICROBIAL ENZYMES, ORGANIC NONFAT DRY MILK, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE), ORGANIC TOMATO, ORGANIC GARLIC, ORGANIC TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN, ORGANIC EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, ORGANIC ONION, ORGANIC PAPRIKA, SEA SALT, ORGANIC FENNEL SEED, ORGANIC OREGANO, ORGANIC BASIL, ORGANIC CRUSHED RED CHILI PEPPER.

It smelled delicious and looked pretty good. The pasta was evenly coated in a red sauce, with flecks of herbs. The texture was just right. The cheese stuck to the spoon.

But it was absolutely flavorless. It tasted like cooked pasta without anything added to it. I could not taste the cheese. I could not taste the tomato sauce. There was no hint of garlic, onion, paprika, salt, or any of the other ingredients. Closing my eyes, I tasted nothing but plain pasta.

I am not a gourmet cook on the trail. To me, food is a function, not a centerpiece to camping. Many of my own recipes center around Ramen noodles, mixed with dehydrated vegetables and the Ramen flavor packet. So, I'm not a food snob. However, a bag of plain pasta is hard to finish. If not for the Ritz crackers I had to eat with my dinner, I'm not sure I could have finished this meal.

Spoon.jpg

Picture I snapped at home for the long spoon review.

Visit Backpacker's Pantry's Organic Sicilian Lasagna page.

Backpacker's Pantry Organic Sicilian Lasagna is a tasty entree, combining cheese, vegetables, textured soy protein and noodles with a spicy kick.

- CampSaver.com

Description of Backpackers Pantry Organic Sicilian LasagnaWhether climbing the most demanding peak, kayaking the most tumultuous river, or cycling across the great divide, vigorous exercise depletes your body of crucial vitamins and minerals. Our Performance Products were designed to meet the needs of the most active outdoor enthusiast. Another Backpackers Pantry first, our Performance Products are enhanced with an all natural vitamin supplement designed to provide you with the recommended daily allowance of vitamins and minerals. Consisting of entrees, drinks, and herbal supplements these all natural products will provide the optimal nutrition needed to boost your energy and enhance your experience in the backcountry. Sicilian style lasagna combining cheese, vegetables, textured soy protein and noodles with a spicy kick.FeaturesIngredients organic durum semolina, organic parmesan cheese cultured, pasteurized organic part skim milk, salt, microbial enzymes, organic nonfat dry milk, disodium phosphate, organic tomato, organic mozzarella cheese organic cultured pasteurized part skim milk, non-fat dry milk, salt, enzymes, organic tomato, organic garlic, organic textured soy protein, organic evaporated cane juice, organic onion, organic paprika, salk, organic fennel seed, organic oregano, organic parsley, organic chiliDry weight 3.8oz 108gOne 14oz serving

- US Outdoor Store

Sicilian style lasagna combining cheese, vegetables, textured soy protein and noodles with a spicy kick, the Backpacker's Pantry Sicilian Lasagna is made with all organic ingredients.

- Altrec Outdoors

Serves One/Serving Size: 14 oz. Cooking Instructions: Add 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) of boiling water. Stir well. Seal and let sit for 13 minutes. Stir and serve.Ingredients: ORGANIC DURUM SEMOLINA, ORGANIC PARMESAN CHEESE (CULTURED, PASTEURIZED ORGANIC PART-SKIM MILK, SALT, MICROBIAL ENZYMES, ORGANIC NONFAT DRY MILK, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE), ORGANIC TOMATO, ORGANIC MOZZARELLA CHEESE (ORGANIC CULTURED PASTEURIZED PART SKIM MILK, NON-FAT DRY MILK, SALT, ENZYMES), ORGANIC TOMATO, ORGANIC GARLIC, ORGANIC TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN, ORGANIC EVAPORATED CANE JUICE, ORGANIC ONION, ORGANIC PAPRIKA, SALT, ORGANIC FENNEL SEED, ORGANIC OREGANO, ORGANIC PARSLEY, ORGANIC CHILI. ALLERGENS: MILK, SOYBEAN, GLUTEN, WHEATMAY CONTAIN TRACES OF PEANUTS AND TREE NUTS.

- Campmor