Backpacker's Pantry Outback Oven - 10"

Weight 26 oz

Excellent way to mix up those tired freeze-dried meals.

Excellent way to mix up those tired freeze-dried meals.

• Ligh weight
  • Packable

• More fuel consumption

I am a gear junkie, always looking for new ways to spice up my trips. So I decided to give this a go. I have added it to my go-to kitchen gear and never looked back.

What I like: Easy to set up and use. Holds heat in well and great for meals for 2 to 3 people.

Best if used on 3 to 5 day trips, unless you have the luxury of not worrying about pack weight (fuel).

I would suggest making a few meals at home first, as it is tricky to get the timing right. Best if used with a simmering stove butane like the MSR Whisperlite.

What I do not like: The edges are a bit sharp and if they get a bit bent (just fits in a small barrel) when closed the lid can be hard to pull apart.

Tips: Cut parchment paper at home and keep for use in the field. Makes clean up easy and it's burnable.

My favourite recipe (long trips): chocolate brownie cake with peanut butter and banana ( all items are dehydrated)

My favourite recipe (car camping/ shorter trips): fresh garlic bruschetta with basil and tomato feta.

Welcome to Trailspace, Kim. I'm confused about how this works. Do you have any pics of it in use?

Welcome, Kim! Thanks for sharing your first gear review. I'd also love to see and learn more about how this works. Could you share some pictures of the setup, perhaps with your MSR stove?

p.s. Your recipes sounds really good! Perhaps you'd like to share them in our camp recipe forum: