Baffin Arctic Boot

They have good room, light, and keep my feet very…

Price Paid: $69.95 at the Barn in Newton MA

Summary

They have good room, light, and keep my feet very warm and dry. The price is right...as I got them at the Barn in Newton, MA, for $69.95!!

Pros

• light
  • warm
  • excellent value

Cons

• have not found anything yet

These boots are what they advertise. I bought them a size larger and they have a very good fit. I do not have to wear any woolen socks to keep my feet warm. They are extremely comfortable and no need to break them in.

Runs small, adequate cold weather protection. The…

Summary

Runs small, adequate cold weather protection.

Pros

• Light
  • Warm
  • High (14")

Cons

• Runs small
  • Stiff sole

The boots are 14" high (Baffin says 13") and quite bulky because of all the neoprene foam. They are overkill when the snow is under 12". Usually my Dunham (extinct) 8" work boots with 200g of Thinsulate work fine, even in very cold weather.

I didn't think these would be quite as bulky. I bought them online, and was surprised at their mass. I bought my size, which makes the fit cozy, but not uncomfortably so. Get at least a half size larger. Even Baffin recommends you do so.

If you're standing or walking in foot-deep snow, these might be worthwhile, but then again, you'd probably be on snowshoes. It's impossible for me to get the end of my snowpants over the tops of these, so they have to go inside. My snow pants plus base layer and socks provide all the warmth I need anyway, which makes the extreme height of these boots somewhat redundant.

Good boots, drawstring at top does keep out snow. Brush/stomp the tops off when you get indoors. Good for winter camping. A very serious winter boot.

Thanks for the review, Paul. I'd be curious to see some pictures of your boots that show how big they are.