Bates Hot Weather Combat Hiker

Excellent all around hiking boots. These boots are…

Summary

Excellent all around hiking boots. These boots are durable, comfortable, breathable, and provide good support.

Pros

• Durability
  • Support
  • Comfort
  • Breathability

Cons

• Length of laces
  • Cheap insoles

I got these boots after searching long for an affordable American made hiking boot. They are hot weather, non-waterproof military boots.

right.jpg
rear.jpg
left.jpg
front.jpg

I bought these online. They were discounted because of the blemish seen below.

defect.jpg
These boots normally sell for around $250 but with this blemish I got them for $100. And to date, this blemish has caused no problems in fit or function.

I bought these a little over a year ago and have since put a couple hundred miles on them with absolutely no problems or issues. They provide great support in all terrains and have good comfort, feel, and breathability. The nubuck leather used on these is a higher quality than is used on most hiking boots and is about twice as thick as you would normally find.

The Vibram soles used on these provide great traction in most conditions and even perform well in wet conditions and wet rocky creek crossings. The tread has held up surprisingly well and shows very little wear after a couple hundred miles.

bottom.jpg

As good as these boots are, there is room for improvement.

First is the insole.

insoles.jpg

These are cheap and poor quality that provide little support. The very first time I put the boots on I knew they had to go. After changing them comfort is excellent.

The second issue are the laces.

laces.jpg

They are way to long and have to be double bow tied to keep them from dragging the ground. Of course this is a simple fix, either replace them or double tie them. One good point of the laces though is that, the way they are made, they grip themselves well and do not try to loosen as you are tying them up.

One note to potential buyers. Bates shoes run a half to a full size larger than stated size. Mine are a 9 1/2 but are closer to a 10 1/2. This is the case with all Bates shoes I have encountered.

Overall I am extremely happy with these boots. And I couldn't be happier with the price I paid for what I got. Judging from the current age, wear, and condition, I expect many more years of service from them. I would, without reservation, recommend these to anyone that wants a good boot that does not need to be waterproof.

Hot weather combat hiker with a Vibram outsole for excellent traction and stability.

• Nubuck / Cordura Upper
  • Dri-Lex Lining
  • Durable Vibram Bifida outsole for traction and stability
  • Removable single density polyurethane custhion insert.
  • Cement Construction
  • Sizes 3-16 in R, W and XW.

Visit Bates's Hot Weather Combat Hiker page.

Bates Hot Weather Combat Hiker

The Bates Hot Weather Combat Hiker is not available from the stores we monitor.