BearVault BV500

If a bear can is required or deemed necessary, this…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

If a bear can is required or deemed necessary, this is a good choice.

Pros

• Good shape to put on pack
  • See-through
  • Easy to find food
  • Straight sides stow food better than curved
  • Makes a good seat

Cons

• Lid can get slippery
  • Hard to get a grip on canister
  • Can be Fiddly to open

While this can is harder to open than some of its counterparts, the benefits outweigh the one con. And with some practice, opening it becomes less of a hassle. I've tried a couple different techniques that take some of the frustration out of the process.

Because this can is straight sided, food packs very neatly and compactly inside. I managed to stow nine days' worth of food in my canister as well as my hiking partner's. The neck and lid accommodate that last little "cram" space.

Another asset is the clear plastic construction. I didn't have to unpack the can every time I wanted to find something.

The feature that is the nicest benefit is the flat topped lid. I used carpet tape and a cut down kneeling pad, and I always have a camp chair.

I have had this can for three summers, and have carried it for several different trips over dozens of miles. I have carried this on quick little overnighters to multiday PCT trips to my daughter using it to summit Mount Adams. I love not having to hang a bear line, and it's nice to know the little varmints will stay out of my food, too.

While the can defeats the ultra-light approach I like to take, it's a great solution to food storage and protection. I have found the can to be little worse for wear after being used, dropped, and kicked.

Heck, I've dumped out the food and hauled water when getting water was inconvenient!

I would get this can all over again.

I used this bear canister in late August in Rocky…

I used this bear canister in late August in Rocky Mountain National Park, CO. It was a rental as I typically prefer bear bags over canisters, but bags were not permitted in said park (apparently mother bears have taken to sending their cubs up trees after bags).

This canister was light enough and with some clever arrangement in my pack, I had no problems with its bulk, either. I can't comment on this canister's resilience to bear attacks as I did not encounter one while on the trip, but it was hard enough for ME to open up. I can only imagine that a bear would find it impossible without thumbs.

Bottom line: This is a pretty solid canister; I gave it 4 stars simply because I greatly prefer to use bags, so take this review with a grain of salt.