Benchmade Bushcrafter Family

Looked into getting a cheaper bushcraft knife that…

Summary

Looked into getting a cheaper bushcraft knife that was full tang to compliment my Mora. At first hard to swallow the price, but this is S30V steel. This blade holds an edge like no other. Has a fantastic warranty and will not rust here on the Oregon coast.

Pros

• Edge holding longevity
  • Micro bevel for fine detail work
  • Handle with multiple hand positions
  • The best of the best materials G10-TITANIUM-S30V
  • American made
  • Great for bushcraft, including general camping

Cons

• COST
  • Length of time to sharpen
  • Sheath does not come with a dangler for the D ring

I bought this knife as a closeout. I previously purchased a couple of Moras that I absolutely love. But I as I got into the hobby of so called bushcraft—what I used to call camping recreation until it took off—I decided I wanted a full tang knife. Needed, probably not, but I did not have a full tang in my collection.

So I looked into "camping" knives and bushcraft specific knifes kept coming up, in particular the Benchmade. It is expensive, but I justified the cost because of the high quality steel and handle materials used, along with the fact it is American made. And honestly it's a sexy knife to look at.

In use it feels great. I have medium hands for a man and it fits well. I love that the handle was designed with multiple hand uses in mind including a finger guard. The knife holds an edge wonderfully. I do not baton generally but since YouTube makes it look so fun I have tried it and this knife slices right through anything including green wood.

The sheath is okay, especially for use a few times a year. Nothing special. As far as throwing sparks I have not tried that but multiple videos show that this knife loves ferrocium rods.

I HIGHLY recommend this knife. And hey, if you don't like it you can resell it to the right buyer with probably only a 10-20% loss. Not too bad for a tool.

Welcome to Trailspace, Dan. Do you have any pictures of your Bushcrafter you could show off in your review?

Dan brando

Yes I sure do. I will go back and upload some here soon

Great! Thanks, Dan.

By the way, to add a picture, click the yellow button at the top or bottom of your review to “Edit this review.” While in the main “Detailed Review” section of your review, click on the photo icon (a little green tree, third from the right) in the menu bar at the top to "insert/edit image." You’ll be able to upload images or link to pictures you’ve posted elsewhere.

I hope that helps!

Inspires confidence. Love everything about this knife.

Summary

Inspires confidence.

Pros

• Design
  • Materials
  • Fit and finish

Cons

• Sheath

Love everything about this knife. It is solid, well assembled, great material (s30v steel, g-10 handles, titanium holds everything together.) This knife has proven to be excellent at bushcraft, batoning, feather sticks, striking flint, etc. ergonomics of the handle make a lot more sense when you're holding the knife and understand the different grips it's designed to accommodate.

Thick steel blade inspires confidence that the knife will survive normal use and abuse, as well as the fact that the s30v holds a great edge while at the same time being easy to sharpen. The sheath is good, although kydex would be preferable in humid climates.

If you're looking for a zombie apocalypse, cut through a car door, mall ninja weapon, keep looking. If you're looking for an excellent bushcraft tool that would serve you well, even in the event of worst case wilderness scenario, get a bm162. It would be hard to find a better blade.