Bern Macon

An economical skid lid with good fit and ventilation.

Summary

An economical skid lid with good fit and ventilation.

Pros

• Well ventilated
  • Inexpensive
  • Rated for biking and skating too

Cons

• Chin strap touches my throat

After watching me ski and reviewing our life insurance coverage my wife decided that I should wear a ski helmet.  I dutifully forked out the green for a lid to protect her investment and have worn it whenever I ski.

The biggest issue I had with helmets is ventilation, they might have vents on the shell but they never reach the lining; they are just for show.  This one ventilates nicely and has a wicking liner to keep my melon dry.

The fit is decent, I got the L/XL and there's room inside for a thin cap.  The ear flaps keep my ears warm and the entire lining is soft and not scratchy.  My one issue is that the chin strap sits too close to my throat, something that, after a few hours, gets old.

The matte finish sets off my TS sticker nicely and didn't come with any trashy graphics; a clean slate for me to add my own decals to.

The tag inside says it also meets the standards for mountain biking and skating so that is a big plus since my bike helmet is trashed (long story). I plan on taking the warm liner out and wearing it when I ride this summer.

After a less than five ski trips the lid still does its job. I wear the chinstrap loose and it doesn't bother my throat much anymore and it has protected me well enough from my bad skiing (a couple yard sales) to account for its price.

Another helmet for another hobby.

Bern mixes it up a bit with classic styling and modern internals. The Macon EPS Wireless Audio Helmet brings retro skateboard style into the modern era. Bern teamed up with Outdoor Tech to create a wireless system with amazing sound quality that can stand up to on-snow punishment and won't cut into your brews budget. The Bern Macon EPS Wireless Audio Helmet will make rocking out and staying in touch on the slopes easy and painless. The Macon starts with Bern's Thin ABS hard shell and then adds EPS, a lightweight, one-time-use foam that evenly distributes force and gives its life to save yours in the event of a high-impact crash. Bern's Signature Shape allows the Macon to be up to 35% lower profile than standard snow helmets, and the ergonomic fit means it fits around your head instead of perching on top of it. And, unlike other helmets, you can take the liner out when it warms up for spring-ski comfort. The Macon Wireless Audio Helmet comes with a Bluetooth wireless audio system, a collaboration between Bern and Outdoor Tech. Just drop the OT Chips into the slots inside the helmet liner, and you can listen to music and take phone calls wirelessly using controls on the integrated headphones; they're so simple, you can operate them without having to take your gloves (or mittens!) off. The headphones use 40mm drivers for full, clear sound. Battery time for phone calls is up to 12 hours, while music playback lasts up to 10. The system charges from flat to full in 2. 5 hours.

While the Bern Macon Helmet for men gives a nod to skate styling, this winterized snowboarding helmet is all about safety with thermal comfort. It's made with an ABS shell that's thicker than most snowboard helmet designs. The larger ABS shell is specifically designed to accommodate an open cell Brock foam. Brock foam allows more air circulation than conventional snowboard helmets, so it helps keep you cool and dry. There is one trade off: The Macon does not meet the same action sports head protection standard as cycling or kayaking helmets made by Bern. This half-shell helmet will protect against low-force impacts and possibly prevent concussions when hard foam helmets cannot. The Macon features seven vents that passively pull cool air through the front of the helmet as warm air is pulled out the back vents. The ear pads are removable, so you can enjoy extra venting comfort while riding across sun drenched snowfields in the early summer.

- Altrec Outlet

Bern developed the Macon helmet with top skaters and underground rippers. They wanted a core, high quality, subtle helmet that performed as both a skate and snow model. EPS hard foam meets ASTM F 2040 and EN 1077B standards for snow and ski, CPSC and EN 1078 standards for bike and skate. Crossover shreds like Alex Andrews, TJ Schneider and Luke Tanaka choose the Macon for street and snow.No summer linerABS shell and EPS hard foamSinkFit: Low Profile FitAll-Season: Snow - Bike - SkateBlack Cordova Liner.

- Campmor

CLOSEOUTS . A lid for all seasons, Bern's Macon Hard Hat watersport helmet combines ABS hard shell technology with soft, multiple-impact, moisture-wicking and breathable Brock foam padding that allows ample airflow. Brock open-cell soft foam interior for comfort and improved air circulation Waterproof lining ABS shell Snap-in ear flaps Complies with CE 1385 standards for canoeing and other water sports Weight: 1 lb. Material: ABS shell with Brock open-cell foam interior Made in China Available Colors: MATTE BROWN/ORANGE. Sizes: L, M, S, XL.

- Sierra Trading Post