Big Agnes Crosho SL

Warm, cozy, light, compact. Performs very well. I'm…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Warm, cozy, light, compact.

Pros

• Warm
  • Light
  • Compact for a -20 bag

Cons

• Expensive

Performs very well. I'm used to using two bags in Minnesota during the cold season since it often reaches -20° F  here in the winter. Packing in two bags, two pads, and other gear gets heavy and bulky. I fill up my 95L pack. If I hike in a long ways, I normally pull my bag in on a sled. At a compact 4lbs 1oz (long), I can finally pack in on my back.

The bag repels water well. (I washed it after I bought it online. I hand kneaded water into it and it took forever to get the water to permeate the bag enough to weigh it down for the washing machine to do the trick. It also took six full cycles on 30 min low heat tumble dry and two days hanging out to get all the moisture out.)

The baffles and collar keep heat in well because they are extra lofty (though the collar doesn't cinch 360°). The zipper functions well enough (maybe some very minor sticks if I zip and unzip with wanton hands).

I spent the night in 15° weather and sweat bullets by 5 a.m.

When I slip a Gore-tex bivy over the top of the bag and wear a puffy, I don't get cold even in MN winters (this is a first for me).

Entry Exit: The bag is easy to get into and out of due to its silky interior and light top.

Fit: The regular length is for a 5'10". I am 5'11' so I bought a long. It's slightly too long for me since it fits up to 6'6". It leaves a small pocket of cold at my feet or too loose of a dome around my head. Not a big deal.

Loft: Great! Just take it out of the compression sack and shake it around like you're shaking out a dirty door mat and it fluffs up in 10 seconds. Vertical chambers are supposed to distribute the heat better. I can't tell if this is true but it seems to work. It's super comfortable and just roomy enough to move around a bit.

Features: No pocket!!! I rolled around on my contact lens case all night. The baffle does not cinch behind the neck. This doesn't allow you to contain the heat and a bit can sneak out the face hole. Since the internal collar is so lofty, it stops most. I am actually going to bring it to my old Armenian tailor friend to have a full circumference draw installed. I think then it will be the perfect bag. The baffle strings are easy to access when you are in the bag and they glide well.

Durability: Call back in two years.

IMGP0179.jpg

IMGP0180.jpg

Cody Bartz

Hand wash your sleeping bag and other down products!

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney)

I have a washing machine that would make most people jealous! I've washed all of my down products. No probs. If you have one of those washers with the spinning column of Hades in the middle, you are right, they tear everything apart!

Cody Bartz

I guess I've heard that it is safe to hand wash, even with the non-agitator machines. Glad that you have had success! Thanks for the review! I am from MN, now live in Wisconsin.