Big Agnes Lynx Pass 4

I'll be very happy with this tent once I get used…

Design: 4-person three-season freestanding modified dome
Ease of Setup: Not hard, but not the easiest either
Weight: Doesn't matter for me
Price Paid: $345 incl. footprint

I'll be very happy with this tent once I get used to it. I had to replace a big old dome tent destroyed last year by wind in the Dakota Badlands.

First I bought a Marmot Limelight 3, intending to sleep two, but we were cramped with two self-inflating mattresses. For car camping, I conclude that a 2-person tent is good for one person, and it takes a 4-person tent to sleep two people comfortably. IMO, 3-person tents are useless.

After research, I returned the Limelight and bought the Big Agnes Lynx Pass 4 which I've just pitched and took down in my backyard. For car camping, I think this one is the best 4-person on the market now in its price range. For backpacking, I think it's quite large and a bit heavy, although you could split it up on the trail. For car camping, of course, the weight doesn't matter.

Once set up, you'll find this tent to be very spacious, with very large doors on the side and two large vestibules on either side. The tent is symmetrical, so there's no such thing as a front door and back door. Both the doors, the vestibules, and the two parallel zippers to the rainfly openings are the same on both sides, and that's a big plus in my book. Also, the two short poles over the doors substantially increase the interior space in the upper part of the tent. Two people can comfortably read books when trapped in heavy rain.

The long pole assembly seems a bit cumbersome to me, but I'll get used to it. There's a center hub, so you assemble both poles at once, and each long pole has two "joints" used to attach the short poles that go over the doors. Putting the poles together is something of a project, but I did it alone, and it wasn't awful. Besides, these joints serve a purpose. I also thought the pole diameter was a bit large, but it's not a big deal.

The Lynx Pass 4 has four vents built into the rainfly, and that will help combat condensation. And on those hot, humid rainless summer nights, you can roll up the rainfly doors on either side to give you good ventilation, while still protecting you from the dew.

I now have eight tents -- four each in Michigan and California -- and this Lynx Pass 4 will be my Number One Michigan tent for two people car camping in comfort.

EDIT TO ADD: I forgot to add my gripe. The footprint and mesh gear loft for the Big Agnes Lynx Pass 4 are sold separately at outrageous prices, IMO. I rarely use gear lofts anyway, but both the footprint and the mesh gear loft should routinely be included as standard equipment. Many, perhaps most, manufacturers adhere to this separate pricing policy. Just my opinion.

Not a 3-season tent, too much mesh which makes it…

Pros

• Easy setup
  • 2 doors
  • Great space

Cons

• Mesh on bottom of the doors
  • Too much mesh on the top

Not a 3-season tent, too much mesh which makes it very COLD. Easy to set up, good space, love the two doors, but needed to put an extra fly over the mesh to stop all the drafts.

Visit Big Agnes's Lynx Pass 4 page.

Three season, free standing, backpacking tent DAC Combination lightweight pole system with press fit connectors, and lightweight hubs - featuring eco-friendly anodizing All DAC poles made from TH72M aluminum: the latest technology in lightweight

- Teton Village Sports

The Big Agnes Lynx Pass 4 is a premier three season, free standing, backpacking tent. The hub/ pole design makes set up easy with the color coded poles, grommet webbing and buckles. Rest assured when you're slumbering in the Lynx Pass 4 Tent.

- CampSaver.com

Durable backpacking tent, the Big Agnes Lynx Pass 4 Tent has great space and outstanding value.

- EMS

On Sale. Free Shipping. Big Agnes Lynx Pass - 4 Person Tent DECENT FEATURES of the Big Agnes Lynx Pass 4 Person Tent Storm flap on vestibule zippers prevents drips Fabrics used on our tents include silicone treated nylon rip-stop and polyester depending on the model Cordura and event fabrics used in our Mountaineering line Waterproof polyurethane coating on all fly and floor fabrics Reflective guy line and reflective webbing on tent corners for night time visibility All seams taped with waterproof, solvent free polyurethane tape Color coded pole ends, webbing and buckles make set up easy Fly vents improve ventilation to reduce condensation Features double doors and vestibules Fly is polyester rip-stop with 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating Floor is polyester with 1500mm waterproof polyurethane coating Tent body is polyester rip-stop and polyester mesh DAC pole system with press fit connectors and lightweight hubs Plastic clips attach tent body to pole frame Hub pole design Eight (1), 11 (2 and 3), 12 (4) lightweight aluminum hook stakes Four (1 and 2), six (3), eight (4) interior mesh pockets Gear loft loops included Footprint sold separately Fast Fly setup available 4 fit the Square gear loft The SPECS Capacity: 4 Person Trail Weight: 7 lbs 9 oz / 3.43 kg Packed Weight: 8 lbs 4 oz / 3.74 kg Fast Fly Weight: 5 lbs 10 oz / 2.55 kg Packed Size: 9 x 21in. / 23 x 53 cm Floor Size: 57.5 square feet / 5.3 square meter Vestibule Area: 17 / 17 square feet / 1.6 / 1.6 square meter Footprint Weight: 13.5 oz / 382 g Floor Length: 96in. / 244 cm Floor Width: 86in. / 218 cm Head Height: 52in. / 132 cm

Big Agnes Lynx Pass 4

The Big Agnes Lynx Pass 4 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.