Big Agnes Mad House 3

Great product for the price. Not too heavy and the…

Summary

Great product for the price. Not too heavy and the quality is good.

Pros

• Cheap price
  • Easy to set up
  • Freestanding

Cons

• The poles are bulky

I bought this so my wife and I could bring our daughter camping with us. I did not want to drop too much money in case she really didn't like camping.

For the price I think this is a great tent although I was surprised that it wasn't actually made by Big Agnes. The instructions even state directly it is made elsewhere (China) and stamped with their name.

The tent was exactly what I expected. Not the lightest but easy enough to set up. Plenty of vents, the rain fly was easy to attach (just remember orange to orange and black to black) and the vestibules were nice and roomy. The poles were kind of bulky because they don't fold up into smaller sections (about 24" packed).

The weather was mild on our trip so I cannot attest how it would withstand any rain but there was no interior condensation and it did repel all of the moisture from the fog that rolled in on our campsite.

All in all, if you are looking for a cheap three-person tent or even a roomy two-person tent this is a good choice. Just set it up a couple of times at home first to get used to it.

If you've owned or used a Big Agnes Mad House 3, please share your experience.

Big Agnes Mad House 3

The Mad House 3 has been discontinued.

The Big Agnes Mad House 3 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 18, 2012 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new 3-4 season convertible tent, check out the best reviewed current models.