Black Diamond 50 Caliber

The 50 Caliber is an awesome pack for shorter mountaineering…

Price Paid: I traded in another pack and paid the difference of the retail price.

Summary

The 50 Caliber is an awesome pack for shorter mountaineering trips (3 or 4 days). It is comfortable, provides unique features, and should be more durable than most packs due to the construction and materials.

Pros

• Durability and simplicity
  • Comfortable suspension
  • Hydration compatible
  • Not available in flashy colors

Cons

• Not availabe in flashy colors
  • Compression straps too far apart for 3rd party accessory pockets

The 50 Caliber is an awesome pack for mountaineering. While not the lightest or most sophisticated pack in that size range, it is exceptionally durable and offers unique usability features like the stand-up haul bag style bottom which is a wonderful thing when loading the pack and it stands up nicely when loaded.

For me, the 50 Cal is too much pack to use as a crag pack, but it is perfect for longer trips, like the Grand Teton, where I used it a few weeks ago, and three or four day jaunts in the Alps. I tend to fill a pack regardless of the size so the 50 Cal keeps me down to a load that is much more manageable, even when we push the capacity by adding a couple Deuter accessory side pockets.

It is practically bullet proof — unless you're actually shooting at it with a 50 cal — and seems like it would hold up reasonably well to light hauling. It carries very comfortably and I would definitely recommend this pack. It might be the perfect crag pack for a guide who normally carries more gear or extra ropes. In fact, it was recommended to me by a guide.