Black Diamond Alpine Bod

I bought two of these accidentally.  I don't know…

I bought two of these accidentally.  I don't know if the retailer made the mistake or me but I am glad for the error.

I have five kids ranging in ages from 3-12.  The 12 yr old is too old for this but the 3, 5, 7 and 10 yr old all can fit this harness fine.  Two makes things faster because of less time spent swapping harnesses.  The back padding is fleece which I thought was kinda cheesy but it actually does fine for the kiddos.  They shipped two with different color padding so the kids claimed one as their own.

The fleece is kinda grabby so the little ones can't slip out with their narrow hips.  The 10 yr old puts his own on just fine (always double check of course).  None of them have ever expressed discomfort wearing it and they often hang in it for longer than I would want to in my own harness.  The problem is that they forget they are wearing it and run off at the crag with the harness on and forget to leave it for their siblings.

The 10 yr old follows 5.9 sport climbs just fine with it and I like all of its features.  The Belay loop is nice and stiff and it has gear loops just like dad's.  I can't think of a reason to dislike it yet.

PARENTS: For your littlest climbers use a piece of webbing and make a figure 8 chest harness to keep these top-heavy kids from capsizing in a fall.  Though unlikely in toproping, it's still a good idea.

I started rock climbing fairly recently and bought…

I started rock climbing fairly recently and bought this for my first harness. I really like it and can't see myself buying a different one unless this one wears out. I use it primarily for simpler, single-pitch routes and have had no issues with safety, durability, or comfort.

I think the best thing about this harness is that it is also very versatile. I'm a "gear junkie" with way more hobbies than I can afford. It's nice having a harness that can be used for rock-climbing, mountaineering, scrambling, via ferrata, etc.

If you're a hardcore rockclimber with a little extra cash, you may want to experiment with some fancier harnesses. If you need something simple, affordable, and functional, be confident that this harness will do the job great.

Mine is the older model, gear loops have been added…

Mine is the older model, gear loops have been added now. I find this harness has been adequate for alpine climbing and I have done low class rock climbing with it too. One advantage is that it is simple and lightweight. Another advantage is that it is adjustable because I seem to gain weight and use more clothing in the winter. It is as safe as any certified, approved harness. Because it has no padding it isn't comfortable to hang in for more than a few minutes. It has no belay loop, but that hasn't been a problem. It depends on what you use it for, but for my purposes, so far, it has been great.

Visit Black Diamond's Men's Alpine Bod page.

The Black Diamond Alpine Bod is the alpinist's harness with proven performance since sometime around the Pleistocene the A-Bod is simple, minimal, perfected and classic. The Alpine Bod features quick-release leg loop buckles for easy on or off without removing your crampons. The lightweight design is sewn from durable, quick-dry nylon webbing and packs tightly to fit inside your pack. Each size is widely adjustable to accommodate clothing layers and features four handy gear loops.

- CampSaver.com refers to the men's version

The Black Diamond Alpine Bod Harness is a perfected no-frills alpine-style harness ideal for glacier travel, ski mountaineering and alpine climbing. Detachable leg loops ensure the Alpine Bod is easy to don over bulky mountaineering or ski boots. The unpadded Alpine Bod might not be your first choice for hanging belays, however its small pack size, minimal weight, and features give it an advantage in alpine terrain. Constructed from quick-dry nylon webbing, no padding Traditional buckle Quick-release, detachable leg loops Leg loop adjustment ensures a comfortable fit over bulky layers Four gear loops 12 kN rated haul loop Includes mesh storage sack

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

The Black Diamond Alpine Bod Harness had been around for about 100 years for a reason. It's simple, lightweight, and extremely versatile. Two gear loops hold just enough gear for an alpine climb, and the diaper-style design can be put on and taken off even when you're wearing skis.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

With proven performance since sometime around the Pleistocene, the A-Bod is simple, minimal, perfected and classic.Traditional buckleQuick-release leg loops4 gear loops12 kN-rated haul loopEntire harness constructed from quick-dry nylon webbing

- Second Ascent refers to the men's version