Black Diamond Alpine Bod

I bought two of these accidentally.  I don't know…

I bought two of these accidentally.  I don't know if the retailer made the mistake or me but I am glad for the error.

I have five kids ranging in ages from 3-12.  The 12 yr old is too old for this but the 3, 5, 7 and 10 yr old all can fit this harness fine.  Two makes things faster because of less time spent swapping harnesses.  The back padding is fleece which I thought was kinda cheesy but it actually does fine for the kiddos.  They shipped two with different color padding so the kids claimed one as their own.

The fleece is kinda grabby so the little ones can't slip out with their narrow hips.  The 10 yr old puts his own on just fine (always double check of course).  None of them have ever expressed discomfort wearing it and they often hang in it for longer than I would want to in my own harness.  The problem is that they forget they are wearing it and run off at the crag with the harness on and forget to leave it for their siblings.

The 10 yr old follows 5.9 sport climbs just fine with it and I like all of its features.  The Belay loop is nice and stiff and it has gear loops just like dad's.  I can't think of a reason to dislike it yet.

PARENTS: For your littlest climbers use a piece of webbing and make a figure 8 chest harness to keep these top-heavy kids from capsizing in a fall.  Though unlikely in toproping, it's still a good idea.

I started rock climbing fairly recently and bought…

I started rock climbing fairly recently and bought this for my first harness. I really like it and can't see myself buying a different one unless this one wears out. I use it primarily for simpler, single-pitch routes and have had no issues with safety, durability, or comfort.

I think the best thing about this harness is that it is also very versatile. I'm a "gear junkie" with way more hobbies than I can afford. It's nice having a harness that can be used for rock-climbing, mountaineering, scrambling, via ferrata, etc.

If you're a hardcore rockclimber with a little extra cash, you may want to experiment with some fancier harnesses. If you need something simple, affordable, and functional, be confident that this harness will do the job great.

Mine is the older model, gear loops have been added…

Mine is the older model, gear loops have been added now. I find this harness has been adequate for alpine climbing and I have done low class rock climbing with it too. One advantage is that it is simple and lightweight. Another advantage is that it is adjustable because I seem to gain weight and use more clothing in the winter. It is as safe as any certified, approved harness. Because it has no padding it isn't comfortable to hang in for more than a few minutes. It has no belay loop, but that hasn't been a problem. It depends on what you use it for, but for my purposes, so far, it has been great.

Visit Black Diamond's Men's Alpine Bod page.

Black Diamond Alpine Bod Climbing HarnessThe Black Diamond Alpine Bod Climbing Harness gives you the protection you need to deliver your maximum performance. It is designed with a traditional buckle that makes this harness very easy to put on and take off. The harness comes with a quick release leg loops system that gives you more freedom when using it. Its materials help to reduce chafing and keep you secure in every situation. This climbing harness has a total weight of 14 oz., it is easy to carry with you everywhere you go. The entire harness is constructed from a quick-dry nylon webbing that makes this product very durable and also resistant to prolonged use. The Black Diamond Alpine Bod Climbing Harness provides you with the stability and safety you need.

- SunnySports refers to the men's version

The Black Diamond Alpine Bod Harness had been around for about 100 years for a reason. It's simple, lightweight, and extremely versatile. Two gear loops hold just enough gear for an alpine climb, and the diaper-style design can be put on and taken off even when you're wearing skis.

- Backcountry.com refers to the men's version

Black Diamond Alpine Bod Harness FEATURES of the Black Diamond Alpine Bod All-Around Harness Traditional buckle Quick-release leg loops 4 gear loops 12 kN-rated haul loop Entire harness constructed from quick-dry nylon webbing SPECIFICATIONS of the Black Diamond Alpine Bod All-Around Harness Weight: 14 oz / 395 g Type: Unisex Nylon webbing The SPECS for Extra Small Waist: 23 x 27in. / 58 x 68 cm Legs: 16 x 20in. / 41 x 51 cm The SPECS for Small Waist: 26 x 30in. / 66 x 76 cm Legs: 18 x 22in. / 46 x 56 cm The SPECS for Medium Waist: 29 x 33in. / 74 x 84 cm Legs: 20 x 24in. / 51 x 61 cm The SPECS for Large Waist: 32 x 36in. / 81 x 89 cm Legs: 22 x 26in. / 56 x 66 cm The SPECS for Extra Large Waist: 35 x 39in. / 89 x 99 cm Legs: 24 x 28in. / 61 x 71 cm ALL CLIMBING SALES ARE FINAL.

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

Lightweight and minimalist, Black Diamond's classic Alpine Bod Harness features quick-release leg loop buckles for easy on/off without removing your crampons, or even your skis.

- EMS refers to the men's version