Black Diamond Alpine CF

I have never been one to use trekking poles -- ever.

I have never been one to use trekking poles -- ever. Not once. But when confronted with a 7 mile stretch that was going to be nothing less than a consistent slog down a flowing river, I realized it was time to try them out. Boy am I glad I did -- these poles literally saved my bacon!

Having never used trekking poles in the past, I have nothing to compare these to, but these poles delivered exactly what I wanted: a solid device I could trust putting weight on.

If you've ever hiked up a moving river ranging in depth from boot-high up to a meter or so -- and filled with silt or algae-covered rocks -- then you know the benefit of being able to put your weight on something like a solid trekking pole. I am not a small guy, and having put my weight on these over and over again, I saw no slippage whatsoever. I also appreciated not having to guess as to the length of each pole, since there are marks for setting the length you want -- a particularly nice feature if you're hiking with two poles since you'd want both to be the same length.

Bottom line: these poles are worth every penny spent, and I'd recommend them to anyone who is in the market for a great trekking pole.

I got hooked on trekking poles 11 years ago when I…

I got hooked on trekking poles 11 years ago when I was backpacking alone in fairly remote regions of trails. I had purchased a pair of Leki Super Makalu Anti-shock poles, and have been using them ever since. About 5 years ago I purchased my now-wife a pair of Komperdell poles and she also swears by the benefits of using them while backpacking.

However, both sets of these trekking poles have proven difficult to keep tightened, and are now to the point where it can be challenging to get the screw-mechanism to engage to even begin to lock the lower section of the poles in place. While this is annoying on general backpacking trips, it became very problematic on two mountaineering trips where I was unable to get the poles to the correct length at times when I really wanted to use them. The guides on both trips recommended looking at Black Diamond's poles.

The Alpine CF poles are a perfect design for mountaineering usage. The poles are noticeably lighter than my Lekis, the flicklock mechanisms are awesome and very mitt/glove-friendly, and the extended grip on the poles allows you to grip lower on the pole for steep terrain without having to grip the cold/uninsulated pole or change the length of the pole.

Plus, I've found that the strap on these poles is easier to adjust the length of than either of the other two poles that we've owned, and while it's a little detail, it's still appreciated.

I haven't found myself missing the anti-shock feature of the other poles that we use. Whether this is because I don't generally put a whole lot of weight on my poles, or because the carbon fiber dampens the shock I'm not sure, but either way the poles are great as-is.

The only thing I might miss is the positive angle grip from my Leki poles (not the cork grip though - the grip material on the BD poles are fine). It's definitely not a must-have, but I actually do think it added a bit of ergonomic comfort. I'll still take the Alpine CFs with me any day of the week on any trip, so I categorize this as a very minor complaint.

Overall the Black Diamond Alpine CF poles are a very welcome addition to my gear collection. If weight isn't an absolute concern, Black Diamond claims that their Spire poles are stronger and that could be a useful feature. However, I'm into gram counting mode for future trips, so the Alpine CF poles are the ones for me.

Black Diamond's ultra-lightweight Alpine Carbon Fiber trekking pole offers exceptional control for all-season trekking comfort.

- Mountain Gear

Black Diamond used carbon fiber material to reduce the Alpine CF Trekking Poles' weight to a ridiculously low 17 ounces. The carbon fiber also reduces vibrations on the trail for less fatigue while you hike. Black Diamond used a combination of FlickLock and Binary adjustment systems to ensure the Alpine CF Trekking Poles adjust easily and stay solid no matter how wet, icy, dirty, or dusty they get.

The Alpine CF from Black Diamond is the ultimate lightest-weight trekking pole2only 17 ounces. It features dual FlickLocks, three vibration-absorbing carbon fiber sections, and a new streamlined dual-density top knob for increased palming and downhill control. Extremely lightweight triple-section carbon fiber material. Non-slip foam grip with lower extension. Comfy 360? padded webbing. Long Flex Tips and low-profile non-snagging trekking baskets. With accessory Powder Baskets, get year-round versatility. FlickLock top, binary bottom locking mechanisms.

- EMS

Black Diamonds dampest and quietest trekking pole, the triple-section Alpine CF is also the lightest.The Alpine CF is built with three vibration-absorbing carbon fiber sections and a streamlined dual-density grip top for increased palming and downhill control.This pole offers grip variations for extended-use comfort, a non-slip foam grip with lower extension for choking up on steeper terrain and comfy 360-degree Nubuck webbing.FlickLocks, top and bottom, provide fast and easy adjustments, and a Long Flex Tip with either the low-profile, non-snagging trekking or powder baskets allow year-round snowshoe and hiking versatility.

- CampSaver.com

On Sale. Free Shipping. Black Diamond Alpine CF Trekking Pole (Fall 2008) The Alpine CF Trekking Pole by Black Diamond is our ultimate lightest weight trekking pole. It features dual FlickLocks, three vibration-absorbing carbon fiber sections and a new streamlined dual-density top knob for increased palming and downhill control. This pole offers grip variations for extended use comfort, a non-slip foam grip with lower extension for choking up on steeper terrain, comfy 360 padded webbing, low profile non-snagging trekking baskets, and with Long Flex Tips it allows year-round versatility with accessory Powder Baskets.Features: Collapsed size: 62.5 cm (25 in) Usable range: 62.5 cm 130 cm (25 in 51 in)Weight: 498 g (1 lb 1 oz)

Black Diamond Alpine CF

The Alpine CF has been discontinued.

The Black Diamond Alpine CF is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new rigid trekking pole, check out the best reviewed current models.