Black Diamond Apex

Well, I was looking for reviews of these gaiters online,…

Well, I was looking for reviews of these gaiters online, and I couldn't find much. So, I wanted to add my findings once I purchased them.

They are narrow feeling compared to the Outdoor Research Expedition Crocs I have used in the past, but they do fit snugly over my Scarpa Inverno plastic mountaineering boots. In hindsight, the OR's may have been overly baggy around my boots.

Overall, the quality of materials feels good and I think they could take some abuse. The boot strap, attachments, and gaiter material seem durable.

The only part that seems a bit sketchy is the plastic clip that cinches and clips the top strap around your calf. I'm sure it will be fine and could be easily repaired, if damaged, to maintain the gaiter's usability in the field.

For the roughly $50 I paid for them, I'm happy and can't wait to use them!

Update: January 24, 2011

Well, I got the gaiters and used them for a couple days of snowshoeing and woods walking in Potter County, PA. These gaiters worked wonderfully for these pursuits.

The only complaint I do have is that they are very tight around the bottom of my Scarpa Inverno plastic double boots. I mean, the gaiters fit, but I have to pull and prod to get the velcro to meet nicely and to close the snap on the bottom of the gaiters.

Other than that, these feel like real trim, solid gaiters that can take abuse and will keep out the snow and ice!

Visit Black Diamond's Apex page.

Black Diamond Apex GaitersThe Black Diamond Apex Gaiters are specially designed for your favorite activities such as skiing or mountaineering. It is designed using High-density, neoprene-coated nylon that makes these gaiters very durable and light weighted. The hook and loop front closure makes them very simple to put on and off. The Webbing with slide release buckles upper closure makes them easy to take off, even when you are using your gloves. The welded double layer 600d abrasion guard makes these Gaiters more durable. It is water and wind proof; it doesn't let the snow enter to your boots. The Black Diamond Apex Gaiters are specially designed to keep you warm and cozy when doing mountaineering or large expeditions.

- SunnySports

A full-height Gore-Tex gaiter, the Apex is designed for cold-weather activities such as skiing or mountaineering.

- GearX.com

The Black Diamond Apex GTX Gaiter is like the huge, pissed-off bouncer at the door of your favorite bar. Water and snow try their hardest to get in your boots and up your pant cuffs, but this full-height, welded Gore-Tex gaiter beats them back like the can't-hack-it chumps that they are. The nylon-coated strap and lace hook keep the Apex securely in place, and nickel-plated adjustment buckles ensure long-lasting durability.

A full-height gaiter built with 3-layer waterproof breathable Gore-Tex fabric, the Black Diamond Apex excels at cold, wet weather pursuits like ice climbing, mountaineering and skiing. A welded abrasion guard holds up against crampons and ski edges while the durable, neoprene-coated instep strap keeps the gaiter securely fitted. Welded, double-layer 600d abrasion guard Hook-and-loop front closure Webbing with slide-release buckle upper closure Nickel-plated instep-adjustment buckle High-density, neoprene-coated nylon instep strap

- OMCgear