Black Diamond Bipod Bivy

I owned a Bibler Hooped Bivy but am claustrophobic…

Design: Three-plus-season bivy sack
Ease of Setup: Hard to get the pole into place and to tension out the bivy's head properly. Don't bother anchoring the foot; if the head is anchored properly, the foot isn't going anywhere.
Weight: 1 lb., 13 oz. (per current Bibler web site)

I owned a Bibler Hooped Bivy but am claustrophobic and so moved up to a Bibler Bipod Bivy, which I used in California's Sierra for several years.

I had also got very sick of how hard it was to get a sleeping pad and sleeping bag into the Hooped Bivy or any other ordinary bivy that loads only from the top.

As bivvies go, the Bipod with its side-zip entry is vastly easier to enter/exit than ordinary, "top-loading" bivvies. It's also easier to get pad/bag into, too.

When the head of the bivy is properly pitched out, the single pole really does a fine job of staying in place -- even with me, a serious tosser-and-turner, in it.

I wish Bibler would put a little stash-pocket in the bivy. I sewed a small mesh stuff-sack into the bivy to have a place to stash quick-retrieval items at night (flashlight, glasses, etc.) and that stuff that wanders off so easily (lip balm, watch, etc.).

The Bibler Bipod Bivy kept me cozy and dry for several seasons, even though it was a tight fit, especially when I crammed all my gear into it. After I seam-sealed it, the only time water ever go into it was when I got in and out in the rain.

I had space enough to read while lying on my stomach and propped up on my elbows, though my head did rest against the top.

There was enough ventilation that I was comfortable on warm evenings.

But I still wanted more room, so a couple of years ago, I got a Tarptent Virga, which suits me and my claustrophobia much better. Really, there was nothing wrong with the Bipod Bivy!

Note that Bibler is now a subdivision of Black Diamond, and you'll find the Bibler products on the Black Diamond web site.

Visit Black Diamond's Bipod Bivy page.

The Black Diamond Bipod Bivy feels comfortably big thanks to a single-pole design that offers maximum head and shoulder room without extra weight. On your next solo trip high on a ridge or down in a meadow, you'll enjoy being able to breathe deep and soak in the morning sunrise. 1 shock-corded Easton(R) pole over the head and shoulders promotes air circulation and keeps you from feeling claustrophobic Large zippered entry allows easy entry and exit ToddTex uses PTFE laminated directly to ripstop nylon for waterproof, breathable performance Large mesh panel encourages ventilation and keeps bugs out Multiple stake-out loops provide secure anchoring Packs down small to easily fit into a backpack, pannier bag, kayak or haul bag Taped seams

- OMCgear

Black Diamond Bipod BivyThe Black Diamond Bipod Bivy is an ideal single-person tent to bring on your outdoor adventures. Though compact, it provides enough room on the inside to sit up on your elbows and read a book. This is thanks to its shock-corded Easton 7075 Aluminum pole that lifts the bivouac sac from your head and shoulders. The tent is also durable that it protects you from various weather conditions. While its ToddTex laminate canopy is waterproof and windproof, its PU Laminated Nylon bathtub flooring prevents water to leak in from underneath. The tent even comes with factory-taped nylon seams that eliminate any gaps in the fabric to ensure there are no leaks. Other features include a large no-see-um mesh panel for critter protection and ventilation and a large zippered entry for easy access. So, what are you waiting for? Venture into the great outdoors with the Black Diamond Bipod Bivy.

- SunnySports

The Black Diamond Bipod Bivy is supremely functional, plenty comfortable, and totally ready to help you take on your next solo trek. An aluminum pole arches over the head and shoulder area to provide a roomy space so you won't feel claustrophobic. A large zippered entry on the Bipod Bivy provides easy access and great ventilation, and it rolls back to reveal a generously sized, no-see-um net panel. ToddTex waterproof breathable fabric provides protection from rain and snow while allowing the breathability necessary for a comfortable, moisture-free night.

Free Shipping. Black Diamond Bipod Bivy FEATURES of the Black Diamond Bipod Bivy 1 shock-corded aluminum pole over the head and shoulders Large zippered entry; net door Large mesh panel for bugs and ventilation ToddTex single-wall fabric Taped seams SPECIFICATIONS of the Black Diamond Bipod Bivy Season: 4 Average Packaged Weight: 2 lbs 2 oz / 975 g Dimension: 92 x 30 x 20in. / 234 x 76 x 51 cm Area: 18.5 square feet / 1.7 square meter Weight: 1 lb 13 oz / 830 g Packed Size: 6 x 13in. / 15 x 33 cm