Black Diamond Bombshelter
The Bombshelter was previously known as the Bibler Bombshelter.
The last new tent I bought was a North Face Westwind…
Price Paid: $615 tent $46 footprint
The last new tent I bought was a North Face Westwind in 1986. A superb shelter which never let me down over the years. Recently, I thought it time to consider something new, larger, and capable of seeing me through another 25 years of adventure. The single wall Bibler/Black Diamond Bombshelter caught my interest with its light weight, 50 sq. ft. of floor space, and finally a pretty reasonable sale price.
I was considering the North Face VE-25 or Mountain 35 but the deal on the Bibler was too good of a value to pass up so I moved on it. Now that I own one and have used it this winter here are my thoughts so far...
1. Well thought out design and good construction. Yes, you have to seam seal areas but the sealant is provided with the purchase and easy to apply. The floor weight is ok for snow but a little light for rock or rough ground so pick up a footprint.
2. It is advertised as a 4-person but realistically it is just right for 2 with all your gear inside.
3. The front vestibule door is a bit small to squeeze through but hey, I guess it helps keep the weigh down.
4. The corner buttons that the poles fit into take some getting used to especially when setting up in the dark and wind. It's perhaps more a case of figuring out a pitch procedure that works for you. I find that staking the tent out first and then crawling in with the poles works best for me. It's best kept to a one man job though as I think it would get pretty confusing if more crawled in to try to pitch.
5. The pegs provided are small T-stakes. I prefer and use the larger BD T-stakes that I have used on my Westwind for many years.
6. The tent pitches tight as drum even w/o guy lines.
7. Since it's a single wall you can really only split the load between two persons (one w/tent, one w/poles & stakes & footprint). But it's a light load and I put the tent in a compression stuff sack and cinch it down.
8. The head room is not really high but it's ok for me at 6'2" sitting, dressing, and cooking. I don't plan to add a gear loft as there is plenty of space for two in winter and 3 in summer.
So far I like it for the purpose I intend it for. If it holds up for me like the NF Westwind has I will be very pleased. Time will tell.
Where to Buy
Also marketed as the Bibler Bombshelter.
Here's what other sites are saying:
Black Diamond Bibler Bombshelter TentVenture into the great outdoors with the Black Diamond Bibler Bombshelter Tent. This expedition tested single-wall shelter is exceptionally stable in windy conditions. The framework consist of five durable Easton 7075 poles, four of which intersect seven times for maximum strength. While the canopy is made out of ToddTex fabric, the 50 sq. ft. floor is made out of strong PU Laminated fabric. It has two doors, each with its own vestibule, and it comes with four interior mesh pockets so you can safely store your valuables inside. With a reliable design to shield you from various cold and warm weather conditions and a roomy interior for four persons, this amazing 4-season tent is great to use all year round. The Bibler Bombshelter Tent is also easy to travel with, having a minimum weight of 8 lbs. and 13 oz. and a packed size of 8 in. x 20 in. Rest and relax outdoors inside a durable and spacious shelter for you and your friends. Choose the Black Diamond Bibler Bombshelter Tent.
Free Shipping. Black Diamond Bombshelter 4-Person Tent FEATURES of the Black Diamond Bombshelter Tent 4-person, 2-door, 2-vestibule design Expedition-tested and exceptionally stable in windy conditions 4 interior poles intersect 7 times for maximum strength 4 interior mesh pockets ToddTex single-wall fabric 100% seam taped Optional ground cloth available SPECIFICATIONS of the Black Diamond Bombshelter Tent Capacity: 4 Person Season: 4 Doors: 2 Average Packaged Weight: 9 lbs 12 oz / 4.42 kg, 10 lbs 6 oz / 4.7 kg Minimum Weight: 8 lbs 13 oz / 3.99 kg, 9 lbs 7 oz / 4.27 kg Dimension: (L x W1 x W2 x H): 90 x 80 x 80 x 44in. / 229 x 203 x 203 x 112 cm Area: 50 square feet / 4.6 square meter Vestibule Area: 20 square feet / 1.8 square meter Packed Size: 8 x 20in. / 20 x 51 cm
The Black Diamond Bombshelter is a state-of-the-art, four-person, four-season single-wall tent with a storm-proof design. Aconcagua' Yeah, been there. Everest' Sure, done that. What about gusting winds and four feet of snow' Yep, the Bombshelter can handle that, too. True to its name, this tent is virtually unbeatable in the mountains, or anywhere for that matter. If you're looking for the ideal team-mountaineering or base-camp tent, you'll have a hard time finding one that's stronger or lighter than the Bombshelter.
The Black Diamond Bombshelter Tent is meticulously designed to offer conveniences in harsh environments. So roust up your entourage and enjoy the creature comforts of this lightweight, stable, four-season tent on a high glacier or remote locale. Freestanding single-wall design saves weight by eliminating the need for separate canopy and fly; ideal for winter weather endured by mountaineers and four-season climbers ToddTex features PTFE laminated directly to ripstop nylon for waterproof breathable performance Two attached vestibules provide covered entries and room for gear 4 interior poles intersect 7 times for maximum strength and tension against blower storms and dumping snow Low to the ground to remain stable in high winds, but plenty tall for everyone to sit upright 100% seam taped to prevent condensation drips 4 interior mesh pockets Cheery yellow color keeps spirits high, even when you've defeated your tent mates in Cribbage six times Optional ground cloth available