Black Diamond Contact Strap

After using them on some Spring ice and snowfield…

After using them on some Spring ice and snowfield crossings I bought a second pair for my son to wear with me as we climb Mt. Adams next week. After using the old (1970s) set I have I had no idea how easy and effective they could be. They go on in a minute, come with soft rubber anti-balling plates and give you a good grab. I may never do any vertical front pointing but I trust these to keep me rightside up on any ice field crossing/climb.

These are great crampons for what they are designed…

These are great crampons for what they are designed to do, which is carry in your pack on a winter hike, and put them on your non-crampon compatible boots when needed. I use these when I go on early or late winter hikes where I am likely to encounter some ice and snow, but nothing that would warrant a full mountaineering boot. I strap these to my pack, and when I hit ice I stop and put them on.

These strap-on crampons are designed to work with boots that are not step-on crampon compatible. This is good, since for this type of hike I just want to use my regular backpacking boots and not a mountaineering monster boot. The crampons take about 2-3 minutes to put on and about 1-2 minutes to take off and stow, so that are not instant. They are, however, quite stable and secure, so that I feel confident when ascending or descending down (non-vertical) slopes.

The only gripe I have with these crampons is that the strap system has buckles that are too small to use with gloves on--meaning you have to pull off your gloves to put them on or take them off. This isn't really a problem, though, because if it is too cold to do that, you are likely going to be using mountaineering boots anyway.

Overall, a great crampon to use with your three-season backpacking boots.

Visit Black Diamond's Contact Strap page.

Black Diamond Contact Strap CramponBest designed for ice and snow travel, the light-weight Black Diamond Contact Crampon is ideal for mountaineers, skiers and hikers. Not only will it not rust because of its stainless steel construction, but it also preserves the environment. As no rust wears off, no environmentally toxic coatings will be deposited in the mountains. It is more durable and more resistant to snow balling. The compact, 10-point light-weight design offers easy walking, while the fast-adjust attachment system (flexible toe strap) accommodates almost any footwear. It has a new lower-profile fit for better contact with modern boots. With the Black Diamond Contact Strap Crampon, one is assured of having a quality product that meets international standards. It is highly recommended for your alpine trips, ski mountaineering, trek/day hikes, backpacking, and when going on expeditions. The next time you travel icy and snowy areas, equip yourself with the Black Diamond Contact Crampon.

- SunnySports

Designed for ice and snow travel, the lightweight Black Diamond Contact crampon is ideal for mountaineers, skiers and hikers. Its stainless steel construction won't rust and avoids environmentally toxic coatings that wear off in the mountains. The compact, 10-point design offers easy walking, while the fast-adjust attachment system accommodates almost any footwear. ABS plates included.

- CampSaver.com

For general mountaineering, icy bootpacks, or mountain treks that include snow or glacier travel, the Black Diamond Contact Strap Crampon gives you durable, lightweight dependability. Black Diamond designed the Contact with stainless steel for low weight and to ward off rusting.

Designed for ice and snow travel the lightweight Black Diamond Contact crampon is ideal for mountaineers skiers and hikers Its stainless steel construction wont rust and avoids environmentally toxic coatings that wear off in the mountains The compact 10point design offers easy walking while the fastadjust attachment system accommodates almost any footwear ABS plates includedFeaturesbull Distinctive stainless steel construction doesnt rust is more durable resists snow balling and saves weightbull New lowerprofile fit for better contact with modern bootsbull Flexible toe strap fits most footwearbull Compact and easy to usebull Includes dualdensity ABSSpecsbull Weight Per Pair 808 g 1 lb 13 ozbull Size One size fits 3646bull Materials Stainless steelbull Details Contact Strap includes Flex Center Bar for use with softersoled boots

- Bentgate.com