Black Diamond Contour Elliptic Shock

Most comfortable, lightweight trekking poles I have…

Price Paid: $69.99 on sale

Summary

Most comfortable, lightweight trekking poles I have ever used. No slippage whatsoever with their awesome locking mechanism.

Pros

• Comfortable hand grips and straps
  • Dependable locking system, no slippage
  • Smaller baskets is a plus

Cons

• Haven't found any yet.

The hand straps are adjustable and wider, much more comfortable then others I have owned. The grips are very comfortable, which is what I chose these for as I have some issues with my hands aching after a long hike. So far none with these.

Once you adjust the pole length the locking mechanism holds tight with no slipping or readjusting necessary. The shocks work great and I really like the smaller baskets. Makes for a nice slim pole. Good grip on the tips no matter what the terrain.

I have always used a different brand but purchased these when a hiker told me about the comfort in the hand grips, I have used them for a couple of months now and I am very pleased with them. I would highly recommend.

I have been looking for a set of trekking poles for…

Price Paid: $89.93 plus tx

I have been looking for a set of trekking poles for some time now. My concern is that I am not a slight fellow and I tend to put a lot of wear and tear on my equipment. Not abuse just very hard use. The first hike was approx eight miles give or take.

My first outing with these poles was on a fairly established trail, with good elevation changes (500 feet+) and terrain feature changes (rock, clay soil scree and deep wet leaves), along with some 'bushwhacking' off trail.

I found the adjustments very easy to set. I did not change on the fly. The flip locks held firmly the entire hike. I checked the marks at the end of the hike and found no slippage.

These poles have "control shock technology" to absorb shock and cushion the arms on the hike. I found these poles really transferred trail feel nicely even with the shock system. I found I could feel the difference in the trail through the poles. The shock system did not rob energy when climbing steep banks or when briskly walking/jogging. I found the poles had minimal vibration. I mention vibration only because at first, I was surprised by the slight vibration, not having used poles for trekking prior to this. Within five minutes the vibration was not noticeable.

The grips are nicely sized and comfortable. I have larger hands and the grips did not feel too small. The wrist straps were comfortably padded and rode nice on the hand. I used the 'through bottom' method of wearing the straps to support the bottom edge of my hand so I can put downward pressure and not hold the pole tightly and still get great support and energy transfer. My hands were not fatigued after the hike. I found the strap adjustment would loosen slightly, which required adjustment. But, I was putting a lot of weight against the straps.

When off trail the poles worked very well. I was concerned once as I was traversing some rocks and had enough lateral lean that the pole flexed and I thought I was going to bend it. But, the poles flexed nicely taking my weight and performed beyond expectation.

These poles have the carbide tip. Which to my surprise bit into all terrain features. When 'bushwhacking' the hill side and stepping on fallen logs the tips bit nice. Even on the rocks there was almost zero slip. On the trail bit the dirt nicely and came out cleanly.

Overall very pleased with the Black Diamond Contour Elliptic Shock.

Broke my Contour Elliptics, so I decided to try the…

Broke my Contour Elliptics, so I decided to try the Contour Elliptic Shocks - on sale now. I was and am already sold on the flik-loc mechanisms as being the best in the business. The "shock" part of these poles, much to my surprise, is a definite improvement. It definitely dampens down the vibration and noise. I'm impressed.

I think these poles are the best out there, plus they are on sale for as low as $77 - an absolute steal compared to what else is out there in quality trekking poles. Oh, and as for breaking my previous pair, I beat the heck out of my poles in the winter on snow and ice - not Black diamond's fault. Get 'em!!

Visit Black Diamond's Contour Elliptic Shock page.

The Contour Elliptic Shock Trekking Poles from Black Diamond combine the comfort of their Control Shock Technology with the strength and stability of their elliptic shaft shape. Whether you're out for a day hike or toting loads to base camp, Black Diamonds Control Shock Technology provides progressive shock absorption and controlled rebound. The pole's dual FlickLock adjustment and interchangeable carbide tech tips let you customize the pole to the incline and trail conditions.

- CampSaver.com

A 125cm version of its big brother, The Contour Elliptic Shock Compact's oblong shape increases the stiffness of the pole making it a great 4-season trekker. The shock absorbing mechanism in the handle decreases shock and vibration giving you a softer and more comfortable pole placement with a gradual and gentle rebound. The FlickLock closure system holds the poles securely and allows for them to be telescoped into the handle for a smaller packing size. Interchangeable tips and baskets make certain that you get the best purchase on any surface you are travelling on.

- Mountain Gear

Description of Black Diamond Contour Elliptic Shock Trekking PolesIncorporating BDs revolutionary shock-absorbing technology, the new Contour Elliptic Shock has, well, shocked the trekking pole world. Built using patent-pending Control Shock Technology CST, the poles progressive four-stage shock absorption handles hard compression without bottoming out. The CSTs unrivaled dampness absorbs light and medium strikes without the ineffective pogo-ing rebound of inferior shock systems. The patent-pending external design maximizes pole collapsibility and is stealthy quiet, meaning no more click, clack, click, clack associated with other shock-absorbing trekking poles. Additionally, the elliptic shape of the pole provides twice the fore and aft stiffness of round-shafted poles. The Contour Elliptic Shocks also feature dual FlickLocks for solid and sure adjustments, dual-density grip tops, foam grip extensions, 360-degree Nubuck straps, Long Flex Tips and trekking baskets. It also comes in a Compact model, which is a shorter, 125 cm version with reduced grip size for smaller hands.FeaturesWeight 664 g 1 lb 8 ozCollapsed size 68 cm 27 in.Usable range 76 cm 30 in. - 140 cm 55 in.Straight shaftAdze head

- US Outdoor Store

Great for all-season travel, the Black Diamond Contour Elliptic Shock trekking poles get strength from the elliptical shaft shape, and adjust to meet the trail conditions no matter where you are.

- EMS