Black Diamond Cosmo

Brilliant little headlamp at a reasonable price. My…

Summary

Brilliant little headlamp at a reasonable price.

Pros

• Versatility
  • Bright light

Cons

• Operation can be a little confusing
  • A little bit of glare in the lowest tilt position

My old Petzl Tikka headlamp, being eleven years old, was wearing out. The headband was stretched out of shape and the body had a crack in it, so it was time to replace.

I shopped for a new headlamp, and narrowed down to a few models, including the Cosmo. Finding it on sale, I went for it.

The headlamp has three LED's... two normal brilliance, and one super-bright bulb in the center. The two bulb configuration (16 lumens) is fine for working around camp, preparing meals, getting the tent set up, etc. The center bulb at a whopping 70 lumens is great when you need a lot of light... hiking or find a cathole in the middle of the night.

Both settings can be gradually dimmed as needed to save on battery life, by simply holding the power button down. There is also a "strobe" flashing mode, which is great for those late night backcountry rave parties. The lamp tilts at four different levels. However, I noticed in the lowest level, the light tended to glare in my eyes.

I highly recommend not tossing out that little instruction sheet with the tiny print in six languages. The way the control button is used can be a little confusing, and actually reading the instructions can be helpful.

The power source is three AAA batteries. Haven't this long enough to determine battery life, but with lithiums I would battery life should be decent. The water resistance rating is IPX4, which means it will stand up to sprayed water (ie rain), but probably not being submersed.

All in all, a great little headlamp for your dollar. Looking forward to many outdoor trips with it!

Just what the doctor ordered! A perfect balance between…

Summary

Just what the doctor ordered! A perfect balance between brightness, features, and cost! 70 Lumens, multimode with a red led for night use, and only $30.

Pros

• Affordable
  • Features
  • Bright

I picked this light up when it was still an REI exclusive. It was the replacement for the outgoing Cosmo that still had the more rounded chassis design.  This one has the new angular look that Black Diamond has moved to.

Lights
The reason I went with this light was the price and the features it came with for that price.  It has an super bright single LED in the middle (dimmable), two lower power LED's (also dimmable), and then a single red LED.  It takes a little getting used to how the to access the red LED, but once you get the hang of it it's easy.  Also it has a memory mode  where it will remember the mode you last used, like red for night time, and will go back to it versus blinding your wife with 70 lumens to the face…sorry hun!

Comfort
The light is pretty solid but also lightweight.  It definitely doesn't weigh down your head or cause the light to slip off your forehead.  I'm only doing hiking mind you, so runners…YMMV.  The strap is comfortable as most of these single strap lights are, but it doesn't have any kind of anti-slip gel on the inside like my old Petzl did.

Build
Access to the battery compartment is easy…with a screwdriver.  I did have trouble trying to pry the little tab up with my fingernails, but i'm sure you could do it if you needed to.  I still preferred a flathead screw driver if you have it.  The one button that the light has is easy to press but a little difficult to find by touch, and even more so with gloves on.  It could use some kind of texture or shape that you can feel more easily.  It's also fairly easily pressed and there's no lock out mode like the higher end Black Diamond lights.  This light is rated for water resistance IPX4, I haven't used it in the rain, so I have no opinion on that.

Battery Life
Unfortunately, haven't really put that to a test either. But there are plenty of sites that do.  I'm running eneloops in mine; love those things.

Woo-hoo, kkpro! You just wrote the 25,000th gear review on Trailspace! We'll be sharing this widely and getting in touch abou prizes. Congratulations!

1 year ago

Great light. As long as it stays dry. All the technical…

Summary

Great light. As long as it stays dry.

Pros

• Awesome arrangement of settings
  • Ease of use

Cons

• Not even water repellant

All the technical stuff has been mentioned , so I will save you the time. Great lamp, light and efficient, burn time is longer than most people spend on the trail (daytime included).

But I was night fishing with some buddies and wearing this lamp and I fell out of the boat, read pushed. And the lamp after only a few minutes of submersion will now not turn off. Even though my buddies counterpart lamp (a Coleman from Wal-mart) still works after using it to light the bottom of the lake.

Great lamp, maybe in the next model Black Diamond will consider o-rings.

Three different light settings. Can dim in any setting.

Summary

Three different light settings. Can dim in any setting. Comfortable strap.

Pros

• Great brightness
  • Comfy strap
  • Distress setting

After using this light a few times, I can say that it meets my needs just nice. I am not into buying really expensive lights becuase they do get lost, but this one was a steal at $30. I got the white/orange color combination and it's great. Would recommend to anyone that wants a low cost light without sacrificing quality.

Great headlamp, lots of light for the price. I am…

Summary

Great headlamp, lots of light for the price.

Pros

• Does the job
  • Easily adjustable

I am a fan of Black Diamond products and their headlamps are another quality product. This headlamp delivers a lot of brightness for a good price. The battery time is also really good and I haven't had to switch out batteries yet despite some pretty good usage. Great product!

If you've owned or used a Black Diamond Cosmo, please share your experience.