Black Diamond Demon Duffel

(Nearly) perfect rope and gear bag. This is just what…

Summary

(Nearly) perfect rope and gear bag.

Pros

• Voluminous
  • Convenient

Cons

• No outside accessory pocket
  • No gear loops on outside

This is just what I wanted when looking for a rope bag. It has everything I wanted: a ton of storage, integrated (not to mention removable) tarp, backpack straps, waist belt, looks great, super durable.

After returning the Metolius Speedster for lack of volume, I picked this pack/duffel up. Huge improvement. A bit more expensive, but worth it. It's huge inside, the full length zipper is convenient, material is burly, the backpack straps are really comfy (although not terribly padded), and the waistbelt is substantial and actually useful.

I pretty easily fit my 60m 10.2 rope, 10 draws, chalk bag, two 30m accessory cords, harness with biners and other crap, some webbing, helmet, and shoes. There was still room for some other small odds and ends, although nothing big would fit in. I could also clip my helmet and/or shoes to the duffel handles on the outside to free up some space. The pack carries extremely well, the shoulder straps are comfortable, the back framesheet is nice to have for support, and the waistbelt is actually nice and quite useful.

The only things I feel this bag lacks is a small accessory pocket on the OUTSIDE of the bag. There's a decent sized one inside, but a bit awkward to get at if the bag is full. Would also be nice to have a daisy chain or gear loops on the outside to clip helmet, shoes, etc. to. Not enough to deduct a star, but just a bit to be desired.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy this at all, it's the best bag I could find for the money, especially with an integrated tarp.  The tarp is great, it's big, has rope tie loops on two corners, and feels like it will last.

Great BD quality and design, very impressed.