Black Diamond Distance FL

unisex
Weight 14 to 16 ounces per pair (depending on length)
Sizes 95-110cm 105-125cm 120-140cm

Your knees will thank you for this welcome addition…

Summary

Your knees will thank you for this welcome addition to your hiking adventures!

Pros

• Compact
  • Extend quickly and easily
  • Comfortable grips

Cons

• Strap disconnected
  • Limited sizing options

I had knee surgery almost two years ago, and since that time have been under strict instruction by my orthopedic surgeon to only return to hiking under one condition: always use trekking poles. Although I began the experience as a necessary concession, I have come to truly appreciate my poles.

photo.jpg

The Black Diamond Women's Distance FL poles have been wonderful hiking companions. The Z-Pole design allows them to fold up into a compact length that fits easily into your pack on mild sections of the trail. A storage bag is included, which prevents risk of tearing your pack or other materials you may be carrying.

The poles are lined with internal cables and include rubber cones at the point of connection, which allow them to lock into full length quickly and easily (see above photo). Using the FlickLock Pro technology, you can adjust the length of the pole as you hike. In the photos below, you can see how the FlickLock operates. It's simple and straightforward, which I appreciate when I'm on the trail.

IMG_0148.jpgIMG_0149.jpg

The grips are comfortable and the straps adjust easily. While I've had to wear gloves with other poles I've used in order to avoid blisters and chafing, there have been no such issues with the Distance FL. The one problem I've had, however, is that the strap on one of the poles completely disconnected the first time I used them — mid hike! It seems as though this was a manufacturing error, which I hope is uncommon. Black Diamond allowed me to exchange them for a new set and I've had no issues since.

Selecting the appropriate size was somewhat of a challenge for me. I'm 5'4"- pretty average height. I generally set my poles at a length ranging from 100-115cm. This poses a problem when the two sizing options are 95-110cm or 105-125cm. This may be an easy choice for people who are either petite or tall. However, I found myself caught in the middle. As I primarily use my poles during the descent, I opted for the longer version. They have worked out well, but it is a judgement call worth considering for those like me, whose height may place them somewhat between sizes.

I've really enjoyed using these poles. They are lightweight, which is much appreciated by my arms and shoulders. I have found that using trekking poles has completely changed the way I hike as they reduce downhill impact, placing less pressure on my knees. As an added bonus, river crossings are much easier than they were during my pre-trekking poles days!

Same here--hiking poles saved my arthritic knees!

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Nice review, Kelly! I have a pair of Black Diamond Distance Z Poles, as well. I love them!

Seth Levy TRAILSPACE STAFF

Great review Kelly! Thanks for sharing!

OutdoorKelly

Thanks all :)

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Distance FL versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 4 reviews for other versions of the Distance FL. Read all reviews »

Manufacturer's Description refers to the unisex version

Combining the compactability of a 3 section Z-Pole with FlickLock adjustability, the Distance FL is supportive enough for backpacking, hiking, or stream crossings while offering up to 20cm of on-the-fly adjustment for sidehills or long approaches.

Black Diamond Distance FL Poles for WomenThe Black Diamond Distance FL Poles for Women are well designed for the avid sports person that likes to participate in many winter sports. These poles are built using a durable aluminum construction for a very light weight and easy-to-use product. The poles have a 3-section Z-Pole folding feature for very simple storage and portability. With speed cone deployment and FlickLock Pro adjustability, these poles are especially made for endurance activities such as hiking. The poles have a specific EVA foam grip with plush-lined straps that adapt to your hand for a very comfortable and malleable hold. The Black Diamond Distance FL Poles for Women are a great piece of technology that help you to give a 100% of performance on every race.

- SunnySports

Free Shipping. Black Diamond Women's Distance FL Trekking Poles - Pair FEATURES of the Black Diamond Women's Distance FL Trekking Poles - Pair Lightweight, women's-specific EVA foam grip and plush-lined, moisture-wicking strap Non-slip EVA foam mini-grip extension 3-section foldable shaft with speed cone deployment and FlickLock Pro adjustability Aluminum construction Interchangeable, non-scarring rubber Tech Tips, carbide Tech Tips and stow bag Stopper basket with shaft catcher to secure folded sections The SPECS for 95-110 cm Usable Length: 37 x 43in. / 95 x 110 cm Collapsed Length: 13.4in. / 34 cm Weight: per pair: 15.5 oz / 440 g The SPECS for 105-125 cm Usable Length: 41 x 49in. / 105 x 125 cm Collapsed Length: 14.6in. / 37 cm Weight: per pair: 1 lb / 455 g

Lightweight and compact, the Black Diamond Women's Distance FL combines Z-Pole fold-ability with 20 cm of FlickLock Pro adjustability. These poles are perfect for backpacking, hiking and endurance running. With EVA foam grips and plush-lined straps sized specifically for women, the Women's Distance FL is built for all-day comfort on the trail. PRODUCT FEATURES: Durable aluminum construction 3-section Z-Pole folding design with speed cone deployment and FlickLock Pro adjustablity Lightweight, women's-specific EVA foam grip with plush-lined, moisture-wicking strap Non-slip foam mini-grip extension for secure choke ups Includes interchangeable, non-marking rubber Tech Tips, carbide Tech Tips and stow bag Stopper basket with shaft catcher secures folding sections NOTE: 3-season Z-Poles do not accept, or have fittings for snow or powder baskets

- Appalachian Outdoors

The Black Diamond Distance FL Z-Pole trekking poles for women combine a revolutionary folding design with FlickLock Pro adjustability, offering support for backpacking and stream crossings.