Black Diamond Half Dome

Another classic helmet. Great for the price. "Promise…

Summary

Another classic helmet. Great for the price.

Pros

• Light
  • Easily adjustible for different conditions
  • Headlamp clip
  • Adequate ventilation

Cons

• Bulky in the back

"Promise me Dad, that you won't get me a helmet like yours or my brother's."

She mostly meant that she didn't want an orange or red helmet but to be sure I ran the Half Dome by her first and after approval, placed the order.

This is the third helmet I have bought and, after two seasons of sport climbing and easy scrambling, we don't regret it.

Besides the Camp Rock Star, this is probably the most common helmet I see climbing. Since my oldest wanted a helmet that looked more modern, adjusted to accommodate her pony tail, and the price was right we gave it a go.

If all we ever did was sport climb in nice weather the adjustable suspension of this lid would be overkill.  However we also get into the mountains enough to need a few more features. For my daughter, who never wears her hair the same way twice and is just as likely to wear a beanie as not, easy adjustments are a must.  This lid has the ratcheting knob like most helmets designed this century and it makes adjustments a cinch. She also likes the color. The vents are bigger on the new model but she likes the clips for a headlamp which come in handy on alpine starts.

The only issue, and it shows up in the pic below, is that the helmet has a lot of extra space in the back.  This may be because my daughter has it sized down for her head but it makes it bigger than it needs to and she dislikes the bulk. "It kinda makes my head look big" I think were her words. Maybe the M/L wasn't the best pick.

The one we bought was on clearance and BD changed the style the year after we bought ours but I suspect that some of these versions are still around.

You see in the pic below that it also hugs her forehead so she has good visibility while she climbs which is a requirement for a climbing helmet.

Luckily, we haven't given this helmet the ultimate test; I haven't dropped any rocks on her, yet. Girls frown on that sort of thing, but it's rated for climbing so I know it will provide a certain degree of protection from reasonable damage, should the need arise.

A good deal for the price.

AA07072012911.jpg

On Kaleetan Peak, getting ready to summit.

Lightweight helmet with an awesome fit. I have a larger…

Summary

Lightweight helmet with an awesome fit.

Pros

• Great Fit
  • Adjustable Sizing

Cons

• None

I have a larger head and ordered the M/L Half Dome and couldn't be happier with it. The fit is perfect. The dial on the back truly gives me a custom-feeling fit that isn't too tight but is very form fitting. The chin strap and buckles are placed just right so that nothing rubs uncomfortably on my face, jaw, chin, etc.

I can't guarantee this helmet would work equally well for every user, but wearing this makes me feel like I got a custom-fitted brain bucket for an off-the-rack price.

I have used this a dozen times rock climbing over…

I have used this a dozen times rock climbing over the past 2 months. It is really lightweight and easily adjustable. I use it while lead climbing as well as belaying. Winter hats fit under it well and it can quickly be adjusted between climbers.

It's not a suspension helmet so I don't know how well it protects you from falling objects. However, if you're looking for a lightweight, versatile helmet, this is it.

I like this helmet because it is light and unobtrusive:…

I like this helmet because it is light and unobtrusive: you forget you're wearing it (mine is 2-3 years old). The classic design has good coverage for temples and back of the head. The slots hold a headlamp well. At first I didn't like the velcro adjustment at the back of the head, but now that I'm used to it and have it fitted, it's much better than the ratchet type and foam screws on some Petzls etc. Overall a great product!

This is a great low cost lightweight climbing helmet.

Price Paid: $45-ish

This is a great low cost lightweight climbing helmet. Good if you casually use a helmet. There are better (Petzl) helmets, but you can't beat the price!

Very comfortable and durable helmet. Great quality…

Summary

Very comfortable and durable helmet. Great quality for use on rock and ice.

• Adjustable

I've used this helmet on rock and ice, and it has definitely help up well and done its job. While looking at helmet options, I had debated the options for weights, but I went with this durable helmet over other lightweight options.  This helmet isn't much heavier, but I prefer the extra protection the Half Dome provides.

The sizing has been easy to adjust, and it feels very comfortable. I have the blue color, and it looks great.