Black Diamond Innova 50

This is a great pack! The ergo-ACTIV suspension is…

Price Paid: Not sure, maybe $150-ish

Summary

This is a great pack! The ergo-ACTIV suspension is perfect for this hiker with an artificial hip and a limp!!! It lets me walk without the pack flopping from side to side with every step like a regular suspension pack did.

Pros

• Ergo-ACTIV suspension lets your hips move while the pack stays on your back.
  • Lots of room, but you can cinch it down tight.

Cons

• I might have been better off with the 60 as I pack heavy sometimes.

About a month before I discovered Black Diamond's ergo-ACTIV suspension packs, I was inventing something similar in my mind on a hike as my pack slipped sideways across my back with every step. Finding this pack and its cousin the smaller Octane has me back hiking!

I had a hip replacement and still limp, but now without pain. This pack lets the hip belt move with my hips and the pack stay centered on my back, it is totally genus! The rest of the Innova 50 is a nice pack, also. It cinches down tight for smaller loads and has a small pouch on top for small stuff and good water bottle holders on the sides—it also works with hydration systems, but I like my water bottles!

This is a women's pack and the hip belt was originally too small for me. Black Diamond sent me a larger men's hip belt for it on request. Nice folks and good service!

All in all a great pack and I would recommend it to anyone, especially those with a limp!