Black Diamond Magnetron RockLock

Large auto locking carabiner. Not worth this girl's…

Price Paid: 24 cdn

Large auto locking carabiner. Not worth this girl's money.

• Magnetic auto lock

• Too big
  • Difficult to release with one hand

I purchased this biner because of its size and the magnetic catch. I like a larger biner for a double line munter (as a backup plan in case something goes wrong with my Reverso). I thought it may pose a problem for ice but that was not the issue.

The magnetic catch is not an ergonomic fit for me. I have small to medium woman's hands and when I reach for release it is just out of my grasp. Only by millimetres! What a pain in the butt! I then have to release it without gripping the full biner in one hand. If you are a climber, you know that's a gong show! — and has the potential to be unsafe.

For now, I've problem solved this by putting this piece of gear in time out.

For men — it's a very cool piece of kit designed more for you :)  I recommend it as the magnetic catch is cool and performs ok as long as it doesn't ice up.

Hi Patti. have you tried the Magnetron Vaprolock Carabiner? Same magnetic catch but smaller and lighter and pear-shaped.

Patti LePoidevin

Hi! Thanks for the question. I've been buying mostly trad gear this year so I haven't paid much attention to the magnetron biners. Now that you've mentioned it, I'll take a close look next time I'm in MEC. ...I'm curious...