Black Diamond Moxie

I wasn't a fan of "headlights" until my girlfriend…

Price Paid: $30 at REI

I wasn't a fan of "headlights" until my girlfriend just had to have one. I've always carried a AA maglite. We looked at a bunch of headlamps at the local REI store and settled on this one as it was in her price range, had a big, easy to use on/off switch and seemed very bright. I have to admit that it was kinda nice cooking dinner with both hands. It is nice and bright. I don't know about distance with it but it's great at lighting up the trail in front of me. It got me thinking that I needed one also. I ordered a Petzl Tikka+
for $35 from travelcountry.com. I'll do the review/comparison for that after giving it a test drive.

The only thing that I didn't like about this was the mechanism for the battery door. If you're not careful with it I'm afraid it could be broken easily. I didn't break one but the way it works is kinda strange. I can't really explain it, you have to see it firsthand. It's probably not worth tripping on, just something to remember when changing the batteries.

Visit Black Diamond's Moxie page.

The groovy version of the cosmo with a floral pattern elastic strap and plum color. New 1/2 watt LED's for greater brightness. Wt: 1.6 oz/2.8 oz (without/with batteries). Power Source: 3 AAA (included) Burn Time: 250 hours (lowest setting) Max Distance: 40 m Max Lumens: 55 lumens

- Vargo Outdoors

Description of Black Diamond Moxie HeadlampThe Moxie takes the powerful, high-value Cosmo platform and livens it up with feminine graphics. FeaturesOne DoublePower LED coupled with 2 SinglePower LEDs emit 55 lumens max settingUltra compact batteries-in-the-front design uses 3 AAA batteriesPositron switch activates 3 modes plus dimmingMode memory keeps headlamp in the same setting as when it was powered offProtected against splashing or sprayed water from any angle IPX 4

- US Outdoor Store

This little lamp uses two SuperBright LEDs for providing close range light while setting up camp, and one 1/2 watt LED for longer range while skinning back to the hut.

- GearX.com

1 central DoublePower LED throws light a maximum distance of 30m; 2 proximity LEDs throw light 6m for activities around camp High-quality lens tunes the light output and shape of the beam to make the Moxie ideal for general outdoor use Use the on/off button to navigate from the bright DoublePower LED, to the 2 proximity LEDs and then to the strobe function Fine-tune your lighting needs with the dimming switch simply hold down the on/off button to activate dimmer Streamlined design sets the beam at an efficient illumination angle; ratcheting swivel head aims light where you need it Compact design fits securely around the head with an adjustable elastic band that won t pull hair 3 AAA batteries (included) provide up to 250 hrs. of use on low and 50 hrs. on high; battery compartment is just behind LEDs for a compact design.CLOSEOUT

- Second Ascent