Black Diamond Moxie

I wasn't a fan of "headlights" until my girlfriend…

Price Paid: $30 at REI

I wasn't a fan of "headlights" until my girlfriend just had to have one. I've always carried a AA maglite. We looked at a bunch of headlamps at the local REI store and settled on this one as it was in her price range, had a big, easy to use on/off switch and seemed very bright. I have to admit that it was kinda nice cooking dinner with both hands. It is nice and bright. I don't know about distance with it but it's great at lighting up the trail in front of me. It got me thinking that I needed one also. I ordered a Petzl Tikka+
for $35 from travelcountry.com. I'll do the review/comparison for that after giving it a test drive.

The only thing that I didn't like about this was the mechanism for the battery door. If you're not careful with it I'm afraid it could be broken easily. I didn't break one but the way it works is kinda strange. I can't really explain it, you have to see it firsthand. It's probably not worth tripping on, just something to remember when changing the batteries.

Black Diamond Moxie

The Black Diamond Moxie is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 12, 2014 at Second Ascent.

If you're looking for a new headlamp, check out the best reviewed current models.

Congratulations, Top Gear Reviewers of 2016