Black Diamond Oval Carabiner

What can I say? The BD Oval is the standard all-around…

What can I say? The BD Oval is the standard all-around carabiner. I have had them in my rack for decades, like every other climber. I have a few other ovals, but I have pretty much relegated them to gear carriers, while the BD ovals are the workhorses. There are other carabiners that serve well in particular situations (like wiregates, or lockers, or etc) - and yeah, I use wiregates a lot. They work smoothly, the nubbin tells at a touch the orientation, and they last (I have some I have been using for 15-20 years, and yes, I know, you aren't supposed to use even metal gear for more than 20 years).

Visit Black Diamond's Oval Carabiner page.

The iconic, symmetrical Black Diamond Oval Carabiner is the proven biner for big walling due to its smooth, uniform shape that reduces carabiner shift.

- CampSaver.com

A favorite on gear racks for years, the Black Diamond Oval carabiner is a fine all-around choice.

Big wall climbers, stop looking at those anodized new-fangled 'biners and pick up the time-tested Black Diamond Oval Carabiner. The Oval Carabiner's rounded design eliminates 'biner shift on aid placements and is ideal for racking gear on both trad routes and aid climbs. The Black Diamond Oval has remained unchanged for years. After all, why would you mess with something so simple and functional'

The Black Diamond Oval Carabiner is the carabiner of choice for big wall pursuits due to its uniform symmetrical oval design, which reduces carabiner shift. Oval shape also makes for smooth rope feeding. Large capacity for racking gear. This classic carabiner is a great value and an important part of every climbing rack. Weight: 45g. Major Axis Strength: 18 kN. Minor Axis Strength: 7 kN. Gate Open Strength: 6 kN. Rope Bearing Surface: 7.8mm. Gate Opening: 25mm

- Tahoe Mountain Sports