Black Diamond Rage

If you can find a gently used pair of these, they…

If you can find a gently used pair of these, they are absolutely worth the money! I bought mine right before BD dropped them from the line. I've used Vipers, Cobras, and Fusions, and I wouldn't trade these out for them.

They have good clearance, they're well balanced, and they have enough weight to make good one-swing placements. Often I've found that lighter tools tend to bounce off of hard ice and require more effort to place well. I use them on WI3-4 regularly here in Alaska and they perform beautifully. I would recommend them to anyone.

I use the Lockdown leashes and the laser picks. I might upgrade to the androids, but the Lockdowns work well for the price.

The Rage is a light, reliable tool that has proven itself a favorite of alpine climbers who demand reliability and performance. With its modular, investment-cast steel head and lightweight 7075-extruded shaft this tool can do it all, be it the Super Couloir or a jaunt up the Great White Icicle. Climbers just entering the realm of ice and mixed lines will appreciate the Rage's affordability while all climbers will appreciate the Rage's Titan Pick. This pick delivers secure sticks with its deep front teeth and cleaves the ice with its aggressive hooking teeth. A high-style tool at a handsome price. *Available with hammer or adze, both are pictured, a set is composed of one axe with either a hammer or adze.

- Backcountry Outlet

Black Diamond Rage

The Rage has been discontinued.

The Black Diamond Rage is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 3, 2008 at Backcountry.com.

If you're looking for a new ice tool, check out the best reviewed current models.