Black Diamond RPM

Finally, a comfortable backpack. This one seems geared…

Design: top-loading soft frame backpack
Size: 1587 cu
Number of Pockets: no external pockets
Max. Load Carried: 17 lbs
Height of Owner: 5' 3"

Finally, a comfortable backpack. This one seems geared towards mountaineering, but fit my ultra-lightweight backpacking criteria so I bought the M/L 26 model in Dolomite.

I used it first for a couple of overnight hikes because I had a bad experience previously. This pack felt so comfortable that I didn't mind leaving it on when we stopped for breaks. Then I took it out on a week long backpacking trek carrying 17 lbs.

It comfortably carried a water filter kit, cooking kit, hammock & tarp, sleeping bag, two sets of clothes, and food for the week. I liked the sleek lines of not having outside pockets, because there is room for a hydration bladder inside. I could still quickly access my poncho in the rain, and there were plenty of spots to lash on extras.

This backpack is a good fit, very well constructed, and a great value for the money.

I use this pack for everything whether it's on a weekend…

Design: top-loading
Size: 1587 cu in
Number of Pockets: 5
Max. Load Carried: 15 lbs
Height of Owner: 6'1"

I use this pack for everything whether it's on a weekend hiking trip or just throwing all my rock climbing gear in it to go to the gym. It's water shedding and extremely light but tuff. the shoulder strap padding is also amazing. I never go anywhere without this pack.

If you've owned or used a Black Diamond RPM, please share your experience.

Designed for constant movement on big days, the lightweight RPM features a highly compressible, ergonomic design so it moves with you, whether you’re climbing or trail running. It’s constructed from water-shedding 210d SilNylon ripstop fabric with perforated, multi-density foam in the shoulder straps and back panel for breathable comfort. A removable webbing waist belt, ice axe loops, cold-weather shock cord, and mesh side pockets offer convenient carrying.

Black Diamond RPM

The RPM has been discontinued.

The Black Diamond RPM is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new daypack (under 2,000 cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.

Capacity 1,587 cu in / 26 l