Black Diamond Soliras

The Soliras has been a dependable friend in the backcountry.

Price Paid: Retail

The Soliras has been a dependable friend in the backcountry. I never really realized what a good light could do for me before using this lamp.

I bring it on all of my 'dark' trips: early morning backcountry skiing, early alpine starts, late night routefinding, etc, etc.

Sure, it's expensive and heavy, but so is a good warm sleeping bag, and if you spend a lot of time on the move in the dark, trust me, it's worth it.

Pros:

(1) The battery life is incredible. I can leave it on its lowest setting for weeks of 24-7 use and it still has juice. With my more average use (occasional use of the high halogen beam, and otherwise mostly using the brightest LED setting) I can use it about 60 field days before a recharge (compared to about 10-20 field days with other 'normal-battery' headlamps).

(2) The light is incredible. Even though I somehow always get stuck in the front of a group to routefind when I bring it (no one else's headlamp ever even comes close) it always makes me breathe a sigh of relief that I can actually work safely in the dark. Other people always want to borrow it when I'm not using it, and more than once I've gotten the joking comment "Oh thank goodness, the sun came back up" when I turn on the bright setting to resume travel after a quick break.

(3) I can charge it in the car (aka at the trailhead). Enough said.

Cautions:

(1) The 'IPX' waterproof standard doesn't mean it's waterproof - it just means it will return to normal function after completely drying out. For me, this meant four days of leaving everything disassembled to dry (and not having a functioning lamp) after total immersion. This is true for all Black Diamond headlamps though, not just the Soliras.

(2) It is heavy and bulky compared to the modern 'normal' compact LED headlamp. When mounted on my helmet, if my helmet is not completely tight it causes my helmet to swivel in opposition to my head a little bit! It certainly doesn't fit in my pocket, but then again I guess most halogen headlamps don't.

Overall, the Soliras is great. It's total overkill for just normal daytime trail backpacking. But, get stuck out once off trail with it in the dark, I'll bet it will blow you away, and (like me) you'll probably never leave home to do a dark trip without it again.

Happy Trails.

I've had my Soliras for a week now and can tell you…

I've had my Soliras for a week now and can tell you that it is the most unbelievable headlamp I have ever used! I did read some negative reviews about it before I bought it, but boy am I glad I didn't listen! The only light I found that even compared was the Marwi Night Pro. But the Soliras won out because I have the option of using the lith-ion battery or the easy to find double A batteries in a pinch. It also has a car charger so I can charge it on the road. Plus the Soliras has an LED optional light source that gives you more flexability, and battery power conservation as well.

If you are having any doubt . . don't even wait around because you will kick yourself for every day that passes that you don't have this awesome, multifaceted headlamp. Once you have used it, you will wonder how you ever got along without it!

-Brandon Stengel
Nashville, Tennessee

Basically a good piece of gear, comfortable, good…

Basically a good piece of gear, comfortable, good battery/battery charging setup, but let down by a beam that has nothing like advertised range.

The problem is that it has a poor reflector for beam usage (it is better as a directed flood light).

I replaced the reflector with one taken from a cheap headlamp and adapted to fit, the result was an excellent lamp.

But should you have to do this with a lamp costing $148?

The highly versatile Black Diamond Soliras is the first headlamp built with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. Created for outdoor professionals like Search And Rescue and alpine guides, the Solaris Headlamp has a three-setting halogen bulb that throws its bright light for 175m. When saving battery power is more important than being able to see for nearly two football fields, switch to the twin LED bulbs and run the Solaris for up to 1000hrs. This Black Diamond headlamp comes with a wall charger and lighter charger, so you'll be able to head into the mountains with a freshly charged battery every time.

- Backcountry Outlet

On Sale. Free Shipping. Black Diamond Soliras Headlamp (Fall 2007) The Soliras Headlamp by Black Diamond is designed for SAR, guides, patrollers and outdoor professionals, the Soliras is the onlyheadlamp to utilize a rechargeable lithium-ion battery (interchangeable with AA batteries).Comes with red and blue lenses, car and wall chargers and the powerful Searchlight Bulb.Weight: Without batteries: 186 g (6.6 oz) With batteries: 289 g (10.2 oz) Maximum distance with fresh batteries: 125 m (Searchlight Xenon) 15 m (LEDs) 75 m (Spare Bright xenon) Maximum burn time: 6.2 H (Searchlight on low setting) 1,000 H (LEDs on low setting) Strobe 1000 H Bulb Type: 1 Searchlight Xenon 1 spare Bright Xenon 4 SuperBright LEDs IPX Waterproof Rating: 4 Battery Power: 7.2v rechargeable lithium-ion included optional 4 AA spares not included Constant Illumination: Yes Electronics: Three brightness settings in either mode.

CLOSEOUTS . The Solaris rechargeable headlamp is Black Diamond Equipment's brightest, designed for SAR and professional guides. This option-driven headlamp offers multiple charging choices, multiple beam settings, and multiple lens colors. Four SuperBright LEDs are great to save juice and illuminate small areas, while one xenon search light serves for ultra-long-range use. Can also run on four AA batteries (not included) Includes: Interchangeable clear, red and blue lenses Rechargeable lithium-ion battery 12V car charger Wall charger Lamp: 2-1/8x1-7/8 Battery pack: 3- x2-5/8 Weight: 10.2 oz. (with battery) Material: Composite CLOSEOUTS . China.

- Sierra Trading Post

A rechargeable battery and searchlight-strength bulb make the Black Diamond® Soliras headlamp a great choice for outdoor professionals. This hybrid headlamp uses lithium ion battery technology, making it capable of throwing a beam 125 meters at full power for more than three hours. Lithium ion batteries weigh one-third as much as alkaline batteries yet provide triple the burn time. When its blazing searchlight beam is not necessary, an IC chip allows for two brightness settings as well as strobe illumination when running the LEDs. Two superbright LEDs offer normal illumination when the searchlight beam is unnecessary. Rugged design performs in the most extreme and demanding conditions; continues to perform in temperatures as low as -40° F. Rechargeable lithium ion battery provides longer, brighter light than AA- or NiMh-powered headlamps and eliminates battery cost and waste. Headlamp comes with an extra 1.0-amp bulb, electric wall recharger, auto-accessory recharger and compact battery case. For night-vision options, a red lens and a blue lens are included. Versatile system can also run on four AA batteries when recharging unit is not available.

The Black Diamond Soliras headlamp has a rechargeable battery and a searchlight-strength bulb that is designed for rangers, guides, patrollers and other outdoor professionals. It can throw a beam 180 meters at full power for over three hours.

- Explore64

Black Diamond Soliras

The Soliras has been discontinued.

The Black Diamond Soliras is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 4, 2009 at Backcountry Outlet.

If you're looking for a new headlamp, check out the best reviewed current models.