Black Diamond Speed 33

I've had this pack for a year and a half. I've used…

Design: top loading internal frame
Size: 33 liter
Number of Pockets: lid has two sections
Max. Load Carried: About 25
Height of Owner: 5'6"

I've had this pack for a year and a half. I've used it for hauling climbing gear on 6 weekend trips to the Red River George, and as a daypack for five days of desert hiking and rock scrambling in Joshua Tree.

The pack fits great and carries a load very comfortably, even a modest trad rack; the rope strap is great, too. I love the lightweight, and that you can strip it down to nothing. I also appreciate that it's so simple, without a lot of straps and crap hanging off to get caught in brush. It rides narrow on the back and doesn't hinder my motion.

I've just gone to much more compact and lightweight camping gear, and I can pack it with a very compressible summer bag, Thermarest Prolite 4 (full length), Six Moon poncho/tarp tent, alcohol stove and cup, and have room for the rest of what I need for a weekend if I'm selective. No room for climbing gear then, of course.

After a year and a half I notice there's a tiny half-inch cut on the bottom of the pack, which has seems self contained. I don't think the material split under load, but that I cut it on sharp granite.

Cons: I wish it had water bottle pockets on the outside, because when I jam pack it full for a weekend there's no room to completely fill my Camelback. If it were 40 liters instead of 33, it would be flat-out perfect.

Anyway, I highly recommend this pack if you need a low volume, easy-carrying, simple, comfortable and aesthetic pack for day hikes, climbing gear, or minimalist backcountry camping. It's got what I really need, and none of the junk I don't.

This pack is awesome. It's one main compartment. It…

Design: top loading
Size: 33 liters
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: 40 pounds
Height of Owner: five nine

This pack is awesome. It's one main compartment. It fits well whether packed tight or with only a small amount of gear. The material is very strong, and lightweight. Not a whole lot of framsheet (personal preference) and can remove both sheet and stay. Speaking of which, one stay in the middle of the back. An awesome approach bag and a good weekender as well. A good weeklong pack, if you like carrying little gear.

If you've owned or used a Black Diamond Speed 33, please share your experience.

Black Diamond Speed 33

The Speed 33 has been discontinued.

The Black Diamond Speed 33 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen September 18, 2008 at Moosejaw.