Black Diamond Switchback

So here's the deal. Sure, you can spend a lot of money…

So here's the deal. Sure, you can spend a lot of money for the top of the line titanium poles with shocks and all the doo-dads; but what happens if you are on a budget.

I am a poor, starving college student who doesn't have the money to spend on top of the line everything; so naturally, I look for the best bang for my buck. I needed trekking poles (due mainly to my poor knees) and I searched high and low for the best I could get. I found it in the Black Diamond Switchback poles. I got them at REI for around 65 bucks, a nice inbetweener price.

Well, since purchasing, I have taken these poles out on trails in the Allegheny National Forest as well as other state parks around my school. All I can say is that these poles live up to their name. I have never been so confident climbing switchbacks and I have never had so much energy after the climb. These poles do what they are supposed to, which is to take pressure off of your knees, acting as another two legs.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have the best of the best...but I'm just not able to do it. So I found my best of the best in the Black Diamond Switchback. Take it for what you will...and good trekking!

If you've owned or used a Black Diamond Switchback, please share your experience.

Black Diamond Switchback

The Switchback has been discontinued.

The Black Diamond Switchback is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 26, 2009 at Backcountry Outlet.

If you're looking for a new rigid trekking pole, check out the best reviewed current models.