Black Diamond Switchback

So here's the deal. Sure, you can spend a lot of money…

So here's the deal. Sure, you can spend a lot of money for the top of the line titanium poles with shocks and all the doo-dads; but what happens if you are on a budget.

I am a poor, starving college student who doesn't have the money to spend on top of the line everything; so naturally, I look for the best bang for my buck. I needed trekking poles (due mainly to my poor knees) and I searched high and low for the best I could get. I found it in the Black Diamond Switchback poles. I got them at REI for around 65 bucks, a nice inbetweener price.

Well, since purchasing, I have taken these poles out on trails in the Allegheny National Forest as well as other state parks around my school. All I can say is that these poles live up to their name. I have never been so confident climbing switchbacks and I have never had so much energy after the climb. These poles do what they are supposed to, which is to take pressure off of your knees, acting as another two legs.

Don't get me wrong, it would be nice to have the best of the best...but I'm just not able to do it. So I found my best of the best in the Black Diamond Switchback. Take it for what you will...and good trekking!

Make your long-distance hiking trips easier with the added stability of the Black Diamond Switchback Trekking Poles. Their soft rubber grips and well-padded wrist straps ensure comfort for the long haul. Binary adjustments on the lower sections lock securely into place while the FlickLock upper sections provide easy micro-adjustments no matter how dirty, muddy, or dusty the Switchback Poles get. These Black Diamond trekking poles also collapse to a short 62.5cm for times where you need to stash them in your pack to free your hands.

- Backcountry Outlet

Tried and true poles that pack down small for easy storage, the Black Diamond Switchback Trekking Poles offer durability and value. Famous for their "Zero Slip" locking devices, BD poles can change length on the fly and never slip, even in the most outrageous conditions. Rugged aluminum shaft collapses to 25 inches; usable range is 40-55 inches; easy length changes. FlickLock adjustment on upper shaft is extremely dependable with on/off simplicity. Added binary lock on lower shaft is push-button quick. Soft rubber grip; nylon webbing strap supports wrist. Short Flex Tips are made of sturdy carbide. Low-profile, non-snagging trekking basket reduce weight.

- EMS

Free Shipping. Black Diamond Switchback Trekking Pole (Fall 2007) The Switchback Trekking Pole by Black Diamond gets new graphics this season and maintains its optimal collapsibility down to 62.5 cm (25 in) for easy storage. Features include Binary and FlickLock adjustment systems, soft rubber grips, nylon webbing straps, Short Flex Tips and low-profile non-snagging trekking baskets.Length: Collapsed size: 62.5 cm (25 in) Usable range: 101 cm 140 cm (40 in 55 in) Weight: 576 g (1 lb 4 oz)

The Switchback is Black Diamonds most collapsible trekking pole, collapsing down to 64 cm for easy storage on a pack. Zero-slip Binary and FlickLock adjustments are easy to use. A single-density grip and nylon-webbing strap provide good control and year-round function. Like all of their trekking poles, the Switchback has superior 7075 aluminum shafts and replaceable Flex Tips.

- CampSaver.com

Adjustable nylon webbing wrist loop supports the wrist. Compacts to a short 25 inches for easy storage; extends to 55 inches for use. Durable grips stand up to the wear and tear of the trail. FlickLock adjustment on the upper shaft won't slip or rattle; push-button adjustment on the lower shaft is quick and reliable. Sturdy carbide poles tips are fitted with small 1.5-inch trekking discs to reduce weight. These entry-level trekking poles share many of the same features found on Black Diamond's top-of-the-line models.

Black Diamond Switchback

The Switchback has been discontinued.

The Black Diamond Switchback is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 26, 2009 at Backcountry Outlet.

If you're looking for a new rigid trekking pole, check out the best reviewed current models.