Black Diamond Syncline

Perfectly fine — cheap, light, strong, simple. I…

Price Paid: $52 + shipping

Summary

Perfectly fine — cheap, light, strong, simple.

Pros

• Cheap
  • Light
  • Simple

Cons

• Do you like orange?

I own / used both of Black Diamond's (orange) Syncline and (red) Trail Back for ultra-lightweight backpacking, with my son and I each carrying one pole and using both for shelter.

Actual weight w/o baskets of Syncline is 270 grams (9.5 oz) and Trail Back 290 grams (10.25 oz). Both handle miles and hands well, but both of ours are pretty soft (we're in Ohio after all).

Given the price is often almost the same on these few-years-old-model poles, I suggest you just pick your favorite color.

No complaints.

Welcome to Trailspace, Kevin. I hope you'll keep us updated on your poles.

5 hours ago

These are lightweight, strong trekking poles that…

Summary

These are lightweight, strong trekking poles that won't collapse regardless of how much weight is put on them. The straps and handgrips are very comfortable for snowshoeing.

Pros

• Strength
  • Flick locks

Cons

• Long when collapsed
  • Indexing numbers could be bigger.

I bought my Black Diamond Syncline trekking poles for snowshoeing, and they're excellent for that purpose. The straps are comfortable and don't chafe when I use them without gloves, and the grips have enough of a lip on them for pulling up my heel lifts.

The included snow baskets keep the poles from sinking too far in snow, and the carbide tips really stick on ice. I've jammed them into ice VERY hard — think Gandalf stabbing his staff into the stone bridge in Moria — in order to check if it's safe for my weight, and have never had the Flicklocks slip even the slightest bit. Adjusting the poles' length is very easy with the Flicklock locking system, even with gloves or mittens.

I've gifted snowshoes and Syncline poles to two friends, and I didn't even consider another brand or model. There are 3-section poles that collapse to a shorter length, carbon fiber poles that are lighter, but for the price I don't think these can be approached, let alone beat.

You will want to slide the tubes apart and clean them once in a while to prevent corrosion. The indexing numbers on the inner pole could be bigger for ease of reading.

Nice review, Phil! How do they do against advancing Balrogs? ;)

Phil Smith

Well, let's just say I'm not in the market for race snowshoes yet LOL

Surprisingly, these hold up well when used for climbing…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Surprisingly, these hold up well when used for climbing various routes up 14'ers. Mine have never failed and the quick flick-lock adjustment is fantastic when speed is of the essence on rough routes or bad weather..etc. I'll keep using them and buying new ones as long as they are available!

Pros

• Ease of use

Cons

• They don't collapse as small as other poles

The upper grips work well with and without gloves...the lower sponge grips could use more outward tapering at the bases to allow your hands to "set" in place for longer climbs. Over-all, they are worth the purchase for their versatility.

Black Diamond products are "good to go". Always innovative and replacement parts are available. From light trail walking to full load 14'er climbs....the BD Syncline poles seem to do it all !

You've peaked my curiosity...why is it "surprising" that they hold up. I'm not a climber. Is it pack weight, terrain, or something else?

Solid, reliable trekking poles designed for day hiking.

Summary

Solid, reliable trekking poles designed for day hiking.

Pros

• Flicklock
  • Cost

Cons

• Hard to attach to a pack

Far and away the best thing about these trekking poles is that while they are light they feel sturdy. This is partly do to being made from two telescoping section instead of three and partly do to the type of lock.

Many trekking poles use a cam locking system where twisting the shaft locks the pole. The problem I've had with poles like these is that they can slip if the shaft twist a little bit. Black Diamond uses a Flicklock, a lever that applies tension to a collar around the shaft very similar to the quick release used on bicycle wheels.  I have never felt the shafts slip no matter how I've used them or how much weight I've put on them. These are rock solid, comfortable trekking poles.

The downside is that they were designed more for day hiking and because they only telescope in one place they are long. This makes them hard to stow in or on a pack.