Black Diamond Trail Back

I am a convert. After a couple of back to back hikes…

I am a convert. After a couple of back to back hikes in the backcountry over washed out trails, through landslides and dozens of deadfalls with a loaded pack over steep 1,000 - 2,000 ft elevation changes I decided to give my creaky knees a break.

I have had good luck with BD products and the flik lock system seems to be the better option for on the move adjustment and I preferred the BD fit and texture of the grips. Also I have to admit the price point was attractive to me because I struggled with the idea of paying for a walking stick, but now I wish hadn't delayed the purchase. To me, the improved weight distribution, balance and added safety coupled with reduced strain on my knees, both ascending and descending, is a huge benefit and I'm not crouching hanging on to my pack with my hands.

Another unintended bonus for me, I fly fish and it's great to have a compact lightweight pole for added stability crossing streams. The unavoidable negative is the added weight and cumbersome snag addition to your pack when not in use but that's really a minor trade off when you are dealing with elevation and hiking on obliterated unmaintained trails.

First pair of real trekking poles I have ever bought.

First pair of real trekking poles I have ever bought. In the past have just used my adjustable ski poles with the baskets removed. They were the typical twist lock style that started to no longer hold well.

So after reading a ton of reviews and checking out all the poles in stores I really liked the flip lock on the BD poles. Took a week long trip into the Olympic Mountains with them and really like these poles. Though not the lightest out there they are strong, priced right and do not slip after adjustment!

Need to get a pair of the adjustable BD ski poles this winter.

The locking system is great. I can say this as I am…

The locking system is great. I can say this as I am a surveyor and have used a lot of locking system for different survey rods. I have found that over time the twist lock will wear out on you and no longer hold. So went with these poles and love them never came loose and held all my 160 lbs when crossing several downed trees on the FT.

Visit Black Diamond's Trail Back page.

The Black Diamond Trail Back trekking poles feature tough aluminum shafts for durable and stability, and double FlickLock adjustability for ease of use on the trail.

When trekking starts to take its toll on your joints, the Black Diamond Trail Back Trekking Pole helps take pressure off. Its aluminum shaft keeps the pole light, the foam grip is durable and comfortable, and its 360 padded webbing strap makes each pole specific to your left and right hands. The FlickLock clamps let you adjust the length with ease for easy transport and for steep uphills and downhills, and you can switch out the Tech Tips with rubber or carbide tips depending on the terrain you're trekking.

A workhorse 3-section pole, the Black Diamond Trail Back Trekking Pole provides reliable stability and easy adjustment for any on-trail adventure.

- EMS

The Black Diamond Trail Back trekking poles are a minimalist pole that uses four-season, glove-friendly dual FlickLocks. The Trail Back is a great pole for any hiker. Features: Rubber grip with nylon webbing strap Double FlickLocks Traditional round shape Long Flex Tips, low-profile Trekking Baskets and Powder BasketsSpecs: Weight per pair: 564 g, 1 lb 4 oz Usable Length: 66.5-140 cm, 27-55 in Collapsed Length: 63 cm, 25 in

- Mountains Plus