Black Diamond Trail Shock

Great poles, they look great and are easy to use.

Summary

Great poles, they look great and are easy to use.

Pros

• Cam lock
  • Anti shock
  • Comfort grips
  • Good value
  • Nice straps

Cons

• Don't come with rubber tip
  • Don't come with snow baskets

Bought these to replace my aging twist lock poles. The wrist straps are very comfortable as are the the grips. The cam locks hold well. They didn't come with rubber tips or snow baskets but are still worth the price. I would recommend them to anyone who wants a lightweight trekking pole.

Great trekking pole. These poles are very strong,…

Price Paid: $120 US

Summary

Great trekking pole.

Pros

• Strong
  • Affordable

Cons

• Wrist strap a little large

These poles are very strong, they pack down very small and are easily affordable. The clip design makes them easy to adjust and gives the segments super strong joins with no slippage. I've taken these poles to Everest Base Camp and the summit of Kilimanjaro with no problems.

The handles are very grippy even with gloves on and the only drawback I've found is the wrist straps are a little larger than I'd like. Great poles.

These poles have held up over many many hikes and…

Summary

These poles have held up over many many hikes and collapse short enough to attach to pack when not in use.

Pros

• Sturdy construction
  • Comfortable grips
  • Fairly lightweight
  • Easy to adjust length

These poles are great! I use them in all seasons (baskets for the winter). I've used the poles where you twist to adjust and these seem to loosen easily. Have not had any issues with the Flicklock system. Once they are adjusted and clicked into place you are good to go.

The wrist strap is easily adjusted and has a bit of padding, a nice touch. I find the hand grips very comfortable with or without gloves.

As far as the anti-shock — you have to put quite a bit of weight on them to feel it.

I'm not alone in loving these poles as my friends all bought them too, as seen in the photo below at Galehead Hut in New Hampshire.

image.jpg

Great lightweight poles. I used these heavily on a…

Price Paid: $70 (on sale)

Summary

Great lightweight poles. I used these heavily on a 7-day trek in the Alps and they were very helpful. Of my group, I had the lightest poles and the easiest to collapse. Highly recommend (plus they look great)!

• Easy to collape
  • Easy to adjust height
  • Looks great

Once I adjusted the height I was able to keep them at the correct height, and then easily collapse or open up to the set height in a few seconds. I liked the multiple options for where to grip so I could easily adjust depending on if I was on an incline or decline.

Locking: Easy to use mechanisms and they didn't slip at all during a 7-day trek.

Traction: I had a little slippage but it might have helped if I had changed the tips (which I chose not to do). But nothing significant or a real problem.

Baskets: Very small, practically non-existent. This bothered some in other reviews I read, but since I knew I couldn't count on the baskets I didn't care.

Very easy to use and well constructed, like everything Black Diamond. I have used heavily for a month and show no wear.

I have been very happy with these poles.  they were…

Price Paid: about $100

I have been very happy with these poles.  they were a significant step up from my previous poles for the following reasons:

1. Grip - these have a firm rubber/foam grip. The grips have some 'give' but are nicely contoured. I debated quite a bit about rubber vs. cork grips, but no regrets so far. The straps are pretty easy to adjust and pretty comfortable. So far, neither has worn appreciably. (My former poles had hard plastic grips, which were less comfortable.)
  2. Length adjustment - this is a three-section pole with two 'flik locks.'  the length is marked on each section of the pole. The flik locks are firm; one of the four required a slight adjustment because it slipped on my first hike; after that brief adjustment, with a screwdriver, slippage hasn't been an issue.

My main debate was whether to get this or fixed-length poles that collapse into three sections, much like a tent pole. The fixed-length collapsible poles are lighter, but I like the ability to adjust the length depending on conditions. (The poles I replaced had twist locks that slipped regularly.)
  3. Shock absorbers — my old poles didn't have this, and it noticeably reduces impact.
  4. Durability has been quite good. I hung up the carbide tips in cracks a few times and gave the poles a pretty good wrenching jolt. No damage.

This is the first set of trekking poles I've ever…

This is the first set of trekking poles I've ever owned, so I can't compare them to any others but I am so glad I finally bought a set.

Grips are comfortable and poles are very sturdy, Got them hung up a couple of times between rocks and they flexed with out bending or breaking. Locks held firm, once set they never moved. Tips grip on anything, would almost bet money they would get a bite on greased glass!

Would most definitly recomend these poles.

I have used these poles on several occasions in the…

Price Paid: gift - guess about $100

I have used these poles on several occasions in the AT and they have saved me from serious pain that I would experience if I didn't use them. That alone warrants five stars IMO.

These are high quality poles. The grips are comfortable, and the shock system is firm. The carbide tips help to keep the poles from slipping on rocks. I have not had any problems with the locking mechanism slipping.

If anything, get poles to save your knees. Plus they open up the option of using shelters rather than carrying a heavy tent. (Another bonus to the knees!)

The Black Diamond Trail Shock Poles are very strong…

The Black Diamond Trail Shock Poles are very strong and supportive. The best feature is the flick locks. The flick locks are very stable and don't loosen up. I have leaned on these over and over again and they don't slip. I have used these poles on uneven trails, rocks, mud and crossing creeks. These poles hold up without fail. I highly recommend these poles!!!

If you've owned or used a Black Diamond Trail Shock, please share your experience.