Black Diamond Voyager

I recommend this lantern, especially for car camping.

Summary

I recommend this lantern, especially for car camping.

Pros

• Price
  • Size

Cons

• Could pack a few more lumens with 4 AAs

I just bought this lantern and plan to use it for car camping and power outages at home since it has the lantern and flashlight ability.  I saw a friend's Voyager and liked it so I got one on sale last week at REI.

About my only complaint is that with 4 AA batteries it seems like it should be able to kick out more lumens!  The Orbit does 45 lumens on 4 AAA batteries.

A great upgrade from the Orbit! So we had a Black…

Summary

A great upgrade from the Orbit!

Pros

• Versatility
  • Price

Cons

• Table stability

So we had a Black Diamond Orbit first. That was and still is a great little lamp. But as most of us gear lovers want, multifunction usually trumps all.  So when I saw the Voyager about to be released, I immediately put it on my Xmas list for last year.

At first glance, the light is slightly bigger than the Orbit, but still in the compact category when compared to the Titan or Apollo. Other than size, the next biggest difference is the addition of the bottom facing light. This light accomplishes two things; it allows you to use it as a standard flashlight (a key feature that will save you from having to fumble around for a light when nature calls at 2am in the woods, just reach up and grab the trusted lantern), the other feature is that the light can be used in conjunction with the actual lantern light.  When combined the bottom facing light will actually fill up the dead zone that happens underneath every lantern. Awesome!

This light contains the same ingenious double hanging hook design that the Orbit has. It consists of two stainless steel half loops that swivel and allow you to either simply use one to hook over a tent gear hammock or you can use both and truly lock the lantern onto the strap if the wind picks up.  The lantern also has some small rubber feet that help keep it stable if placed on a table, but don't expect the same stability of the Apollo.  This light is still better suited to hanging.

The light button is easy to press and like all black diamond lights, you'll eventually get used to the modes as you toggle through them, main light...bottom only, or both. All modes are dimmable as well.

I haven't had a chance to test battery life, I usually don't pay attention to it.  If they die, I toss in another set of eneloops and recharge the old set with my Goal Zero charger. It takes 4AA batteries.

If you've owned or used a Black Diamond Voyager, please share your experience.