Blacks Mountain Tent

After much deliberation I decided to buy the Blacks…

Design: Four season ridge tent 'A' poles for harsh environment
Ease of Setup: 6/10 Needs two in stormy weather. Threading the 'A' poles through the sleeves is the hardest part.
Weight: In ventile fabric and with the cotton flysheet the weight is 24 lbs
Price Paid: Expensive in 1973

After much deliberation I decided to buy the Blacks "New Mountain Tent" in ventile material. The first thing that you notice is the strong stitching and re-inforcing patches and the very tough ventile fabric. Alloy poles are very well made, although I modified them to accept shock cord linking instead of nylon cord. The tunnel entrance is totally draught-free when closed and the tent is very breathable due to: a) The generous space between the inner and the "Protex" cotton flysheet. b) The tunnel ventilators at the front and rear. c) And of course the ventile fabric itself.

In practice this tent is bombproof, no leaks whatsoever, it is however very heavy (24 lbs with flysheet) but if I had to spend more than a week camping in the moutains, this is the tent I would take. In summary I would say that the Mountain Tent is very much a 1950's style, quite narrow and not very high which can be claustrophobic to some people, but it is built to last, mine is still in excellent condition after 30 years of use,and it still looks good!

Bought the tent in a Black and Edgington sale at Sidcup…

Design: Bombproof!
Ease of Setup: Straightforward
Weight: Heavyish (canvas) but shared OK.
Price Paid: 20 quid?

Bought the tent in a Black and Edgington sale at Sidcup in 1969. The lads from the mountaineering club at Dartford Grammar picked up other types of tent. We all went off to Norway for a month on the Jostedal Icecap, mapping a surging glacier tongue (Tungsberg I recall). Then my new wife and I took off for Canada. Next summer went out to western Canada and the Rockies, along with our first child. Had a line squall in Salmon Arm. British Columbia. Only tent on the site left standing was the Mountain Tent! Doesn't get much better than that!

Picked the full unit up in a Black and Edgington sale…

Design: 4 season--A pole wth ridge
Ease of Setup: easy most of the time -in wind ?? able
Weight: bloody heavy
Price Paid: £50 in 1969

Picked the full unit up in a Black and Edgington sale at Sidcup in 1969. Flysheet in Protex 3 cotton and the inner tent in stormproof. A great tent that has stood up to the worst of weather during numerous summers away fron home for up to seven weeks on the trot.

Have tried a geodesic "Wild Country Super Nova" and still prefer the tough old boot of the Mountain tent. It became even more useful when I adapted a Vango Mark 4 extension to fit it {a bit like a kitchen extension}. I can always drop it if the weather gets really rough and batten down in the Mountain till the worst is past.

Years after buying it I picked up the legendary "Arctic Guinea" from an advert in the Sheffield Telegraph. Cost me £25 and had been used twice. The seller had bought it for back-packing and found it too heavy--LOL. This lovely unit also had the tent in stormproof material and offered that bit more space. What's more the adapted Vango extension also fits with a bit of tweaking.

The flysheet on the Mountain is now getting a bit careworn as is that on the Arctic Guinea. Does anyone know where I might be able to source either or both of them? It's a long shot I know, but you can only patch something up so many times.

Both these old-timers hold fond memories for me and have kept me safe and dry for well over 30 years.

If anyone knows the whereabouts of any of the flysheets drop us a line on dwb.artglas@btinternet.com It would be much appreciated.

All the best, Dave Barker

I got this tent in 1973 and have used it in the most…

Design: 4 season
Ease of Setup: needs 1 in good weather, 2 in high winds
Weight: @20lbs
Price Paid: £120

I got this tent in 1973 and have used it in the most extreme weather, and it has stood its ground no problem. It's heavy cotton, with 2 "A" poles and a ridge pole, with a front tunnel entrance. It has never let me down but is now just about worn out. Don't think they still make them, but if they do i would rush to buy another.

Blacks Mountain Tent

No price on record.

The Blacks Mountain Tent is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new four-season tent, check out the best reviewed current models.