Borah Gear Side Zip Ultralight Bivy

Never leave home without it. Most backpackers have…

Price Paid: around $85

Summary

Never leave home without it.

Pros

• Light
  • Breathable
  • H2O resistant
  • Net head to keep out bugs

Cons

• None

Most backpackers have a few extra pieces of gear. On one trip you might take a bigger or smaller backpack or a different tent/tarp depending on weather. Maybe a poncho one trip and a full rain suit another. But what gear goes on every trip?

My Borah bivy is one of those!! I have the side zip extra wide bivy made out of very breathable argon90. The extra wide Borah bivy will hold me, my 30-degree ZPacks extra wide down sleeping bag, and my inflatable sleeping pad (I'm 5'9" 200 lbs). My Borah bivy has a screened head to keep out bugs. This is an h20 resistant bivy but I think they also make a h2o proof bivy made out of eVent fabric. Borah makes first class gear and will give you first class service.

Have used it alone pitched on a piece of tyvek, on hot nights slept in it on top of my sleeping bag, rainy nights put it over my down bag for extra rain protection under my tarp, cold nights used it over my 30-degree bag for extra warmth, have been down to 22° and slept great.

Had my Borah bivy for over five years and used it mainly in the Smokes. For 7 ounces this is one versatile piece of gear. I think I paid around $85 for for my Borah bivy—money well spent.

I NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT, THANKS.
11722086_1599660580285298_15652515310134

Go Time! (Jesse Maloney)

If you slept in it under light rain, would you stay dry or is it for some other purpose? Does it have a screened head area to keep out the skeeters?

1 month ago
paddlepack

This bivy is to be used under a tarp,to keep rain splash off of u,If you want to sleep out in the rain,need gore tech or event or something similar.saw a bibler bivy on eBay the other day for a little over $100 that would do the job. My bivy is made of a90 fabric which is h20 resistant and very breathable.thanks

1 month ago