Brasslite Turbo II-D

This stove is lovely, and it works. Small and light,…

Price Paid: $32+shipping

Summary

This stove is lovely, and it works. Small and light, simple, effective, beautifully crafted. I like alcohol stoves because I don't have to deal with nastier fuels like white gas, and there isn't the waste of the compressed gas canisters. Plus, stove and pots don't come away coated with soot. Great small stove for one or two people.

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Clean burning
  • Cooks food!

Cons

• Enough BTUs for me, but not the most powerful
  • Not as stable as some other stoves, but OK
  • Hard to see alcohol flame in daylight

This stove is lovely, and it works. It's small and light, simple, effective, and beautifully crafted.

I like alcohol stoves because I don't have to deal with nastier fuels like white gas, and there isn't the waste of the compressed gas canisters. You can spill alcohol fuel all over yourself or your gear, and all will all be fine. Plus, stove and pots don't come away coated with soot.

It's excellent for short trips where carrying a whole bottle of fuel would be a waste of space and energy. A small plastic bottle of denatured alcohol does the trick, and the stove, wrapped in a handkerchief, tucks inside a cup or pot.

I use the stove for simple cooking, boiling and frying, and it works great. Filling the stove is easy, lighting the stove is easy. It isn't quite as powerful as my old Whisperlite, but it does fine cooking for one or two people.

Wind definitely affects function. I recommend using it with a windscreen (not included).

It's hard to see the alcohol flame in daylight, but you can feel it. In the dark it's not an issue.

It doesn't _look_ very stable, but it works fine. I keep expecting to have issues with stability, but haven't. It also _looks_ fragile, to me anyway, but I've found it to be very well made and plenty stout. And it really is beautiful. Everyone should have something this lovely and functional in their kit.

I've used this stove hiking, biking, and camping in the Mid-Atlantic, and in the Pacific NW, in non-alpine endeavors. Not that one couldn't, but I haven't.

This is a great backpacking stove!!! I use denatured…

This is a great backpacking stove!!!

I use denatured alcohol and the stove performs as advertised. I've boiled 16 oz of ambient temperature water in less than 5 minutes (given I was less than 3000 feet in Arkansas in July). It has also preformed well (16oz boil time under 6.5 minutes) on the AT in January.

I am very pleased with this stove. I use it to cook for my son and I on our hiking trips. So he carries the stove and I carry the fuel. I highly recommend this stove for its durability, portability, and efficiency when used with a wind screen.

The only drawback is not being able to quickly snuff the flame when finished cooking to recycle fuel.

I highly suggest the use of an ultralight stove when in the back country to minimize weight and waste (empty fuel canisters vs empty plastic fuel bottle).

The Turbo II-D (2.8 oz/ 80 gm) is the improved version of the Turbo II (now discontinued). The Turbo II-D has a double wall (the reason for the "D" in the name), which creates significantly improved flame control. The Turbo II-D is for use by one to two people. It has a fuel capacity of 2 US fluid ounces (60 ml) and will burn for a maximum time of 20 minutes on a full load (longer if simmering).

The Turbo II-D is now available with custom soldered stainless steel stand extensions that significantly improve stability, especially for larger pots. The minimum recommended minimum cook pot base diameter is 4 inches (10 cm). Flame size can be adjusted by partially closing the ports to compensate for pots that are on the borderline of the stove's recommended minimum capacity and base diameter.

Construction Materials:
Body: 30 ga. brass shim (0.012 in, 0.305 mm)
Simmer Sleeve: 32 ga. brass shim (0.008 in, 0.203 mm)
0.5 in. stainless steel wire cloth
Medium grade jeweler's silver solder (melting point 1275 F, 690 C)

Width of chamber and stand: 2.4 in (60 mm)
Width of Preheat Pan: 3.0 in (75 mm)
Height of chamber: 1.7 in (43 mm)
Overall Height: 2.75 in (70 mm)
Side Port Diameter: 8 mm
Top Port Diameter: 25 mm

Weight: 2.8 US oz (80 gm)
Fuel capacity: 2 US fluid oz (60 ml)
Total burn time using 1 US fluid oz (30 ml) of methanol is about 10 minutes
Time to bring 16 US fluid oz (475 ml) water to boil: 5:00
Time to bring 32 US fluid oz (946 ml) water to boil: 9:00

Brasslite Turbo II-D

The Brasslite Turbo II-D is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new alcohol stove, check out the best reviewed current models.