Brunton 10B Baseplate Compass

Really good, basic compass for begining map readers.

Price Paid: $10.99 @ Acad

Summary

Really good, basic compass for begining map readers.

Pros

• Good for beginers
  • Dials well
  • Easy placement for north by using the circle needle

Cons

• No cover
  • No mag glass

I think this is a really great compass for those just starting out in the outdoors, or those just begining to read topos. It doen't have a lot of the other features that some higher end models have, which tend to scare alot of the newbies off from learning. I think it comes with a fairly good and easy to understand instructions. And the one I just bought my son, came with 5 free downloadable maps too. A plus!

There were two major needs for this compass: 1. It…

Summary

There were two major needs for this compass: 1. It must have 2 degree increments and 2. Must be able to set declination. It has both!

Pros

• Sturdy baseplate
  • 2 degree increments
  • Adjustable declination

Cons

• No tools required for adjustable declination may lead to it being adjusted by accident

I bought this compass for navigation in the backcountry. It has worked fine. I can set the declination to my area without needing any tools.

The only thing that worried me was if I would accidentally adjust the declination because there is no tool needed but I haven't had any issues with it.

For a compass for under $15 I think this is a fine addition to the Ten Essentials!

Brunton 10B Baseplate Compass

The Brunton 10B Baseplate Compass is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 24, 2016 at REI.

If you're looking for a new handheld compass, check out the best reviewed current models.

Gregory Citro 25 Review