Brunton ADC Sherpa

For the last two years I've owned a Brunton Sherpa.

For the last two years I've owned a Brunton Sherpa. I use it mostly for the barometric pressure and altitude functions, and it has been reliable. The Sherpa also offers wind speed/velocity and temperature, for the latter the instrument must be held away from the body for a minute or so. It is slightly smaller and not as bulky as other handheld electronic altimeters on the market, and is fairly unnoticeable when carried around the neck on its attached lanyard.

The Sherpa is marketed by Silva of Sweden outside the U.S., by Brunton in the U.S., but it is actually made in Switzerland. It's a well-made instrument, but I think that the success of the watch-type altimeters have really cut into its popularity.

The only real disadvantage I can see to the Sherpa is that it cannot be turned off unless you remove the (expensive) lithium coin battery entirely. When not in use it's best to store it w/o the lithium cell so as to preserve battery life.

Had to return the first one, altimeter woud not stay…

Had to return the first one, altimeter woud not stay in calibration. I cafefully read the instructions also.

Same problem with the second one, and I returned it also. A few other people even tried setting it in case I was fat-fingering it.

The other functions worked fine.

If you've owned or used a Brunton ADC Sherpa, please share your experience.

Brunton ADC Sherpa

The ADC Sherpa has been discontinued.

The Brunton ADC Sherpa is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 3, 2007 at REI.

If you're looking for a new weather instrument, check out the best reviewed current models.