Brunton Vesta Butane Stove

I love this stove. I have used this stove a little…

Price Paid: 60 USD

Summary

I love this stove.

Pros

• Size
  • Doesn't sit on canister
  • Can use a windscreen

Cons

• Weight
  • Size

I have used this stove a little over a dozen times. It uses those common fuel tanks, lights easily, and the flame is very adjustable, but that is all pretty standard.

Where this thing shines is when you are camping in the spring and fall. Since the canister isn't attached to the base you can use a windscreen which is all important on windy days in forests mostly devoid of foliage, and when it's cold in the morning you can flip the fuel canister upside down so you don't have worry about running out of the lighter butane while sluggish propane sits around the bottom of the tank.

This thing's cons and its pros are closely tied. The hose and requirements for a base make it bigger and heavier than other stoves but its size allows it to hold some really big pots and the wide splayed feet keep it steady on surfaces you couldn't put a canister.

Overall it has been great for short backpacking trips and car camping (baking!).

I've had this stove for close to 4 months now and…

I've had this stove for close to 4 months now and it's been on one day hike, one 3-day backpacking trip, and one 3-day car camping trip. So far after what has amounted to making about 15 meals I'm only just running out of fuel in an 8 oz. canister.

The stove is very stable as I've placed a four litre pot loaded with pasta on it. I don't think the boil time quoted on Brunton's website is accurate, however I will say it gets a litre ready for instant oatmeal quick. The fuel line is flexible and attaching a canister is easy.

The only reason I'm not giving it a 4.5 out of 5 is they lied to me! The box said it would come with a wind screen, but I ended up making my own out of copper sheeting.

To summarize: powerful, stable, efficient.

Brunton Vesta Butane Stove

The Vesta Butane Stove has been discontinued.

The Brunton Vesta Butane Stove is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 31, 2011 at Teton Village Sports.

If you're looking for a new compressed fuel canister stove, check out the best reviewed current models.