Byer Amazonas Hammock

Amazing product for the price, super light (under…

Price Paid: 35 dollars

Summary

Amazing product for the price, super light (under 16 oz). Still in pack, though it's only good during warmer months. No rain guard, but that's nothing a good tarp won't fix.

Pros

• Less than a pound
  • Cheap
  • Comfortable (I'm 6' and 175 lb)
  • Versatile

Cons

• Netting can sag a bit
  • No tree attachments (must purchase separately)
  • Nylon material isn't thick enough to ward off Mosquitos from underneath

To start, I'm a bit of a beginner when it comes to backpacking trips, but am already in love with it. I've found that through years of camping there's always a rock or funky angle that a tent sits on when you want to set camp somewhere besides the "pads" set up for specified sites. So I decided to go for a hammock.

I found the Byers Amazonas hammock at the local army surplus for 35 dollars. I must say for the price it's fairly amazing. I've had the product for two years and it is still in excellent condition. I had to sew the bag that's attached to it (which also doubles to hold the hammock), though I believe that is from my own doing rather than the quality.

The mosquito netting is great and it seals completely, but if you're not using a sleeping bag there is a possibility of getting bitten through the parachute nylon material. I think it's a great if you're curious about hammock camping, and not wanting to shell out the 100+ dollar price for the more expensive brands.

Welcome to Trailspace, Josh! A solution to mosquito biting through the hammock is to treat your hammock and clothing with Permethrin. You can buy it ready-to-use at most outdoor gear stores http://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz I prefer to buy it in concentrate at my local farm supply store and mix it at home (MUCH cheaper). In cooler weather an UnderQuilt or even a pad in your hammock keeps the little pests from reaching you.

Byer Amazonas Hammock

The Byer Amazonas Hammock is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new hammock, check out the best reviewed current models.