Chaco Beckwith

I would rank these boots as the second best pair of…

Materials: leather?
Use: off trail wandering, moutainous terrain, 10-20 mile hikes
Break-in Period: 3 weeks

I would rank these boots as the second best pair of boots I have owned. The break-in time is about the same as other all-leather boots (a couple of weeks) and your feet will hurt until a) the boot is broken in and/or b) your feet are broken. The construction materials are top quality but some of the design features are annoying. The overall fit of the boot is excellent (nice narrow heel, wide toe box).

I do have a few complaints. 1) The tongue migrates to the outside of my feet as I walk, this could be alleviated with a fixed tongue or some sort of lacing system through the tongue that would make it immobile. 2) There is essentially no padding on the sides and if you are crawling around on rocky terrain and happen to hit the side of your foot on a rock it really hurts.

I have yet to put in an all-day hike with them completely wet, but I am pretty sure that I would get blisters.

Overall these boots have been a good purchase and it's too bad that they have been discontinued.

I have owned a pair of Beckwiths for a little over…

Price Paid: 65

I have owned a pair of Beckwiths for a little over two years now and they are truly superior footwear for hiking and backpacking. But it pains me to say that they will no longer be made, Chaco has discontinued them due to the manufacturer's desire to move to China. Other than change the quality of their product, Chaco has stopped making these amazing boots.

However, for those of you still interested in getting a pair and under the 225 dollar price tag, call Chaco's customer service. Chaco is selling off whatever stock they have left for 65 dollars, that's right, a 225 boot for 65. I picked up two pairs to put away for if anything happens to mine.

I hope this helps someone out, it's a great deal, it just sucks that they're discontinuing them. Keep hiking.

The boots fit great, and are sturdy enough for long…

Materials: leather
Use: day hikes
Break-in Period: none

The boots fit great, and are sturdy enough for long hikes. Haven't gone backpacking with them, but don't know if they are rugged enough for a week-long trip in the Sierras. The sole pattern is "interesting". I do like the leather around the top interior.

One thing about these boots is that they are very "loud"! They squeak like they're wet, with every step. It gets kinda weird--like a chinese water torture--hearing that squeak all day out in the quiet of nature! The insoles that are provided are very nice too.

This is hands-down the worst pair of boots that I've…

Materials: Leather
Use: on-trail backpacking and off-trail dayhikes
Break-in Period: 1 week
Weight: ??

This is hands-down the worst pair of boots that I've ever owned and perhaps the worst piece of gear, period. The leather uppers are flimsy and offer about as much ankle support as a pair of tennis-shoes. Despite being leather boots with a reinforced toe, my feet got completely soaked any time that I hiked through snow or shallow puddles.

Speaking of the reinforced toe, the rubber reinforcement makes it impossible for a cobbler to stretch the toe box to accommodate a wider forefoot. The narrow toe box, combined with a worthless pair of insoles that fail to keep the foot in place resulted in quite a few blisters - even when I wore hiking socks and liners. Replacing the insoles helped mitigate this problem. By far, my biggest gripe is that the soles had virtually worn smooth after only 500 miles of hiking. I understand that newer versions of this boot feature a Vibram sole that doesn't wear away as quickly.

If you must hike in this boot, replace the insoles immediately and make sure that you're buying a pair with a Vibram sole. Avoid this boot at all costs, especially if you have a wider forefoot. Chaco should stick to making sandals.

When I saw the Beckwiths in Mountain Chalet, I was…

Materials: leather
Use: rough trail and off trail
Break-in Period: forever?
Weight: 4 pounds

When I saw the Beckwiths in Mountain Chalet, I was delighted to find what looked like a good, simple one-piece leather boot. However, I was skeptical of the lining which was glued and not sewn. My skepticism was well founded. The lining started to come unglued very soon. The boots are too soft for rough terrain. They fit well in the store and around the house. But, on the trail they always gave me serious blisters very quickly, no matter what socks I used. The longest I could ever endure them was about six miles. In over 50 years of hiking and mountaineering, these are the worst boots I've ever had on my feet!

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Beckwith versions

In addition to the 5 men's reviews above, there are 12 reviews for other versions of the Beckwith. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Chaco Men's Beckwith, please share your experience.

Chaco Men's Beckwith

The Men's Beckwith has been discontinued.

The Chaco Men's Beckwith is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen June 10, 2006 at Backcountry Outlet.