Chaco Suntrail

Nice shoe but only with Lynco Orthotics. I was looking…

Materials: mesh
Use: hikes short and long
Break-in Period: good right away
Weight: 25,5 oz with Lynco insoles

Nice shoe but only with Lynco Orthotics.

I was looking forward to receiving my pair of Chaco Suntrails but I am -somewhat- disappointed. I love my Chaco sandals, they are one of the best sandals/shoes I have ever worn, so I was expecting a lot of the sneaker.

They have a "biocentric contour" footbed insole that I don't like (code GFS-0558, women's 8-8,5). It has a 6 inch section of stiff bottom material from the heel on up, on which the softer rubbery footbed is shaped. Although other reviews say this shoe feels just like the sandal, I don't agree. The stiff part of the footbed creates a pressure point on both sides of my heel (but mostly on the inside) where the arch begins. It feels like odd and sore spots.

I feel these spots no matter what shoes I put the contour footbed in, and it doesn't feel like the sandals, that just fit and support my profile perfectly (although in the beginning they did feel a bit too much around the heel too).

In the reviews I read before buying, I tried to find more information on the "biocentric contour" insole, or an image, but I couldn't. It seems to be one trade name for all Chaco footbeds - that are obviously not all the same. I regret I can't find any additional info on this insole.

The sole of the shoe itself is quite stiff (with the squeaky traction of the ZX1 sandal) and does not compare to the regular Chaco sandal either. Together with the insole it makes the entire shoe stiff.

I don't know what the difference is with the Chaco Redrock. They have the same outer sole. The Red Rock has one more lace loop and a loop on the tongue.

Although it's a mesh shoe, I ran water over it and it did not get wet inside. I don't know how water-resistant or -proof and breathable the shoe is, but I like it that my feet don't get wet right away.

I don't care for the drawstring to tighten the shoe because it is elastic. That could of course be replaced by regular laces.

I have a pair of Salomon XA Comp 3 GTX Trail-Running Shoes with pull strings, and they don't stretch which I find better for finding the right snug fit. The Salomon as it is gives better arch support and is all in all a suppler shoe (for running). But it costed $110.

I also have a pair of Keen Targhee II's that I didn't like too much because of the heavy toe, until I purchased a $65 pair of Lynco Orthotics. These transformed the Keens into a great shoe that I now use a lot. They are sturdier than the Salomons and waterproof. The Lynco's give my feet just the right support.

When I put the Lynco insoles in the Suntrails it made the shoe a whole lot better. It has a nice support now, the harder sole gives more protection on rocky surfaces than the supple Salomons, good traction, and I am going to try them this way.

To conclude, I'd say: unless you are prepared to buy a pair of Lynco insoles ($50 on Ebay), definitely try the Suntrails for your personal fit before you buy.

The Chaco Women's Suntrail Leather Hiking Shoes take you from work to trail without missing a step. Chaco made the Suntrails to be as comfortable and supportive as its signature sandals, which means these shoes' footbeds fit the contours of your feet, help control over-pronation, and give you lateral stability. Soft, water-resistant suede uppers break in fast. Speed lacing makes bow-tying obsolete, and Getagrip rubber outsoles give you traction on city and backcountry terrain alike.

- Backcountry Outlet

The outdoor inspired Suntrail is convenient and versatile. Stylish, supportive and slim, the Suntrail features a speed lace and soft airy mesh for peak comfort. Complete with BioCentric Fit, walk all day in comfort with this lightweight, quick-drying style. The multipurpose Getagrip outsole is made with non-marking butyl rubber providing excellent slip resistance and traction on all types of terrain. Built-in flex points encourage a natural stride. Chaco has discontinued this model. Limited to stock on hand

- OMCgear

Free Shipping. Chaco Women's Suntrail Shoe (Fall 2008) The outdoor inspired Women's Suntrail Shoe by Chaco is convenient and versatile. Stylish, supportive and slim, the Suntrail features a speed lace and soft airy mesh for peak comfort. Complete with BioCentric Fit, walk all day in comfort with this lightweight, quick-drying style. The multipurpose Getagrip outsole is made with non-marking butyl rubber providing excellent slip resistance and traction on all types of terrain. Built-in flex points encourage a natural stride.

The Suntrail Shoe by Chaco is a sleek, lightweight hiking shoe that is as comfortable on the trail as it is sightseeing in your favorite European city. Either way the Suntrail is designed with a BioCentric Fit to give you extreme comfort and support while you walk or hike your way to your destination. With a Getagrip Outsole that provides great slip resistance and traction on all types of terrain and has built in flex points to encourage a more natural stride. Quick drying with a soft, airy mesh upper and a speed lace system that keeps your foot stable inside the shoe for talus hopping or sidewalk surfing.

- RockCreek

Up to 30% Savings during the REI Fall Sale! Plus members save 20% on one full price item. Cross a creek or hike your favorite peak in the new Suntrail all-terrain shoes that feature Chaco fit, technical materials and friction soles. Highly breathable spacer mesh uppers dry quickly and resist abrasion; rubber toe guards and synthetic leather rands protect feet and uppers. Webbing eyelets create a quick lace system for tug-and-go convenience and a secure fit. Polyester mesh linings breathe easily and dry quickly for increased comfort. Chaco BioCentricâ„¢ footbeds and EVA midsoles deliver pronation control and lateral stability for a well-supported, comfortable stride. Nylon shanks supply torsional rigidity and stability for all activities. Nonmarking, friction rubber outsoles offer excellent traction; built-in flex points ensure a comfortable stride.

Chaco Suntrail

The Suntrail has been discontinued.

The Chaco Suntrail is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 15, 2011 at OMCgear.