CiloGear 40L WorkSack

10 straps = 180g
Framesheet + Pad = 400g
Small / Medium fits from 14 to 17 inches
Medium / Large fits from 17 to 20 inches

I've had this pack for about 6 months. I've used it…

Design: Internal frame
Size: 40 Liters (up to 60 L)
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: 45 lbs
Height of Owner: 70 inches

I've had this pack for about 6 months. I've used it for a trip up the Coe Glacier (Mt. Hood), a few day trips and a week of ice climbing in the Adirondacks. This pack is excellent for ice climbing. The crampon pocket and ice tool holders are extremely easy to use.

The pack requires some time testing and adjusting but once you've dialed it in to your body, it is set to go. While out ice climbing, I abuse the heck out of it. It's my pad to sit on, used for bracing while mantling up a chimney,and is useful for packing down snow for a base to belay from.

It's super easy for multipitch because the pack is so narrow. There's absolutely no interference of my arms for swinging tools.

Some people like lots of compartments and pockets. Not me. I like one large compartment and possibly one other pocket for quick access. If you like lots of special compartments and pockets, you won't like this pack. It is stripped down to a large compartment, the lid and smaller lid pocket and 2 little internal pockets (one of which I use for car keys and cellphone.). If you don't have crampons in the external pocket, it's exactly right for a 1 liter water bottle.

My previous ice climbing/day pack was a Golite race pack. While the Golite pack is light, the Cilogear has a better frame to it, that helps distribute the weight much more comfortably. Plus, the Cilogear pack is simply easier to get into and reload when done with the crampons and ice tools.

I have a 2 week trip in Peru planned and this will be my summit pack.

A definite bonus: These packs come from a small company that is literally a Mom and Pop operation so they essentially know every customer. If you have a problem, or a specific request, they'll do their best to accommodate it.

CiloGear designed the 40L WorkSack for the kind of Alpine climbing, guiding and hiking found in places like the Alps. The 40L is a proven tool for guides and other folks who need some internal organization with the versatility and comfort of CiloGear.

This pack works wonders when you're climbing from your car and don't need the entire contents of your gear storage. Equally at home cragging in summer and winter, the 40L WorkSack is a comfortable pack for weekend hiking from spring to fall. Carry a water bottle or a six pack in the crampon pouch, carry your sketchpad or lunch and the guidebook in the Pocket-in-Pocket. The ability to go into the pack from zipper on the front panel makes the CiloGear 40L WorkSack incredibly versatile and easy to use. It is currently our only pack with an full sized internal pocket for organization.

New features for 2008 include the new Internal Lid Pocket, more durable and robust 500d Dyneema/Cordura ripstop, grommets in the extension tube, and a bright 210d orange Cordura for the framesheet pocket. We are proud to use zippers made in the USA throughout the pack. The #10 zipper on the front panel is the same type and model used on the International Space Station.

60 Liters with the extension all the way up. 42 Liters normally stuffed. 32 Liters with one side closed down. 20 Liters with both sides closed down. Or, compress it how you need to today.

Visit CiloGear's 40L WorkSack page.

CiloGear 40L WorkSack

The CiloGear 40L WorkSack is not available from the stores we monitor.