CiloGear 40L WorkSack

I've had this pack for about 6 months. I've used it…

Design: Internal frame
Size: 40 Liters (up to 60 L)
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: 45 lbs
Height of Owner: 70 inches

I've had this pack for about 6 months. I've used it for a trip up the Coe Glacier (Mt. Hood), a few day trips and a week of ice climbing in the Adirondacks. This pack is excellent for ice climbing. The crampon pocket and ice tool holders are extremely easy to use.

The pack requires some time testing and adjusting but once you've dialed it in to your body, it is set to go. While out ice climbing, I abuse the heck out of it. It's my pad to sit on, used for bracing while mantling up a chimney,and is useful for packing down snow for a base to belay from.

It's super easy for multipitch because the pack is so narrow. There's absolutely no interference of my arms for swinging tools.

Some people like lots of compartments and pockets. Not me. I like one large compartment and possibly one other pocket for quick access. If you like lots of special compartments and pockets, you won't like this pack. It is stripped down to a large compartment, the lid and smaller lid pocket and 2 little internal pockets (one of which I use for car keys and cellphone.). If you don't have crampons in the external pocket, it's exactly right for a 1 liter water bottle.

My previous ice climbing/day pack was a Golite race pack. While the Golite pack is light, the Cilogear has a better frame to it, that helps distribute the weight much more comfortably. Plus, the Cilogear pack is simply easier to get into and reload when done with the crampons and ice tools.

I have a 2 week trip in Peru planned and this will be my summit pack.

A definite bonus: These packs come from a small company that is literally a Mom and Pop operation so they essentially know every customer. If you have a problem, or a specific request, they'll do their best to accommodate it.

If you've owned or used a CiloGear 40L WorkSack, please share your experience.

CiloGear 40L WorkSack

The CiloGear 40L WorkSack is not available from the stores we monitor.

Pack Bag = 875g