CMI Rescue Rack

My "go-to" rappel device. I have bounced many pits…

Price Paid: retail

Summary

My "go-to" rappel device.

Pros

• Lots of fiction
  • Grooved bars to make sure you rig it right

Cons

• Heavier/bulkier than smaller models

I have bounced many pits on this rack, and it's still going strong.

There are different kinds of racks on the market. As a 6'2", 190lb caver, I wanted a rack with lots of friction options.

CMI uses a stainless steel frame with aluminum bars. The top bar is solid, extending the life of this bar (which takes the most wear). The other bars are half channels, reducing weight. All bars can be replaced as needed. I no longer use the rescue bar with the extension, as I've never needed that much friction.

The top bar has a grooved channel, to help ensure the rappeller doesn't create a "Death Rig."

Speaking of death...no one should be jumping onto a rack without some training from a qualified instructor. Rigged incorrectly, a rack will open up as soon as it is weighted. This has been the cause of death for many novice cavers (and even a few experienced ones). www.caves.org can direct you to a local caving club (called a "Grotto), where folks can teach you how to use a rack properly.

184_23529076128_5932_n.jpg

If you've owned or used a CMI Rescue Rack, please share your experience.

CMI Rescue Rack

The CMI Rescue Rack is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 11, 2010 at Mountain Hideaway.

If you're looking for a new belay/rappel device, check out the best reviewed current models.