Coghlan's Backpackers Trowel

Weight 2 oz / 55 g

Been a durable dependable camp tool for over 10 years.

Price Paid: Don't recall

Summary

Been a durable dependable camp tool for over 10 years. It has taken its share of abuse with rock, roots, and hard ground and shows no real sign of any plastic fatigue.

Pros

• Strong material
  • Orange color makes it easy to find

Cons

• A luxury item many backpackers find unecessary

This is one of our camp staples, both for car camping and backpacking. I find it more convenient than trying to find a stick that's strong enough to dig in our rocky CO soil or using the heel of my boot. Plus, when you gotta go, sometimes you gotta go and it's nice to just have the tool right there.

It has worked for us for more than 10 years and I can see it going another 10.

Update (July '14): My trusty trowel snapped in half on my last backpacking trip. Trying to coax a hole in some very rocky terrain ended up being too much for it after many years of use. Oh well, maybe it's time to save the few ounces of weight and try the stick method for a while.

I didn't really expect much from such a low-cost item…

I didn't really expect much from such a low-cost item but it has been durable during camping trips as well as working in the garden.  It seems to be about the same weight as other trowels that I have seen.  I like the orange color, it makes it easy to find.