Coghlan's Backpackers Trowel

Weight 2 oz / 55 g

Been a durable dependable camp tool for over 10 years.

Price Paid: Don't recall

Summary

Been a durable dependable camp tool for over 10 years. It has taken its share of abuse with rock, roots and hard ground and shows no real sign of any plastic fatigue.

Pros

• Light weight
  • Strong material
  • Orange color makes it easy to find

Cons

• A luxury item many backpackers find unecessary

This is one of our camp staples, both for car camping and backpacking. I find it more convenient than trying to find a stick that's strong enough to dig in our rocky CO soil or using the heel of my boot. Plus when you gotta go, sometimes you gotta go and it's nice to just have the tool right there.

It has worked for us for more than 10 years and I can see it going another 10.

I didn't really expect much from such a low-cost item…

I didn't really expect much from such a low-cost item but it has been durable during camping trips as well as working in the garden.  It seems to be about the same weight as other trowels that I have seen.  I like the orange color, it makes it easy to find.

Visit Coghlan's's Backpackers Trowel page.

Normally it's hard to muster much excitement over a simple trowel. However, we can wax poetic about Coghlans Backpackers Trowel. It's lightweight, durable and cheap! In addition, this bright orange tool is made in Canada! Lightweight Beveled edges cut through hard ground Made of durable high-impact styrene plastic Made in Canada

- OMCgear

A convenient trenching tool made of high impact styrene. Weighs only 2 oz.

- Ramsey Outdoor

Coghlan's Backpackers Trowel The Backpackers Trowel by Coghlan is a convenient trenching tool made of high impact polystyrene. 2oz.

The Coughlans Backpacker Trowel is a super light (2 oz.) nearly indestructable tool for digging latrines. This convenient trenching tool is made of high impact styrene.

- Appalachian Outdoors